PINE CONE CIGAR.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

I have made a lot of pine cone slims, a scepter and even some Alumilite cast Pine cone Cigars. But this is my first plain old pine cone cigar. I stabilized it with thin CA before and during turning and it has a thin CA finish. It has been wet sanded to 1500 then MM to 12,000 and plastic polished. It's on a gold cigar kit from CSUSA.
Thanks for looking, any comments welcome. :)

Attachments

• Pine Cone Cigar 013_edited-1.jpg
    Pine Cone Cigar 013_edited-1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Pine Cone Cigar 015_edited-1.jpg
    Pine Cone Cigar 015_edited-1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 303
  • Pine Cone Cigar 006_edited-1.jpg
    Pine Cone Cigar 006_edited-1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Max. I have qsn.?
I looked at your pen again and noticed that the pine cone underneath is a very tight scale. I have some pine cones that we have used in the years past for x-mas, but the scales are open does that make any different, or it has to be the kind you have in the picture?

maxman400

Max. I have qsn.?
I looked at your pen again and noticed that the pine cone underneath is a very tight scale. I have some pine cones that we have used in the years past for x-mas, but the scales are open does that make any different, or it has to be the kind you have in the picture?
If you are doing a slim line you probably can use cones that have opened up already (1st photo), but any thing bigger like a cigar really needs to be closed.(2nd Photo)

Attachments

• pine cone 003.jpg
    pine cone 003.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Copy (2) of info 005.jpg
    Copy (2) of info 005.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 86

seamus7227

Pen looks awesome, you know, i just picked a couple of pine cones that weren't open yet in hope that i could just put them in a mold and fill with PR. But no sooner than i got home they both had opened up. It was weird.

JohnU

I love those pinecone pens. I just wish the cones in my area were big enough. "wimpy little Illinois pinecones". Nice work!

Gary Beasley

If you are doing a slim line you probably can use cones that have opened up already (1st photo), but any thing bigger like a cigar really needs to be closed.(2nd Photo)

Thats true of most species but the longneedle white pine has some truely huge cones and cores can be had with more than enough wood for a cigar pen. I've even found some that I could make a pen with just the one core.
You have a great looking pen! Your technique makes a unique look unlike what I get from just the core material.

papaturner

Thats true of most species but the longneedle white pine has some truely huge cones and cores can be had with more than enough wood for a cigar pen. I've even found some that I could make a pen with just the one core.
You have a great looking pen! Your technique makes a unique look unlike what I get from just the core material.

I think this is the pine cone Gary was talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 104

maxman400

As Gary stated it does depend on the cone, I have some huge cones from CA. that is like foam at the center and is very bland, Then I have some that is like paper that has to be cast before they can be used for any thing. So I suggest that you drill them, spin them and see what you get. :eek: you might be surprised!!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom