Pine Burl Slim-line

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ravenbsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenbsp

This is a wonderful forum. As a new-comer to IAP I appreciate the feeling of support for both the newbie and veteran penturners. I am posting this new pen for all of those who might feel the need to vent after a bad day at work, just watched a beautiful piece of burl explode off your lathe after thinking "I really should sharpen this tool real quick", etc. Feel free to criticize my latest project just because sometimes it just feels good to wig-out! [}:)][}:)][}:)];);)

This project was inspired by a piece of beautiful fast growth farm grown pine I found split from a brand new pallete of equipment at work, yes I did get this past security with only minor bribing.. I especially like the "Knotty Burl" near the endcap. The finial is non-standard to the original kit, it consists of a zinc plated hex-bolt take from said pallete. The center band is a custom crafted copper piece taken from the side-walk near my neighbor's house. Its preparation included careful removal a red plastic outer covering with a utility knife followed by a careful but of inlay work around the center of the balnk. I plan to auction this pen off on Ebay (reserve of $75.00).

200622323912_pine_burl.jpg

Just a note, I am in no way denigrating the phenomenal work that I see here by expert crafts-people, nor poking fun at beginners who are brave enough to post their efforts for both adjulatiion, support, and positive critique. :):):):) Its all meant in the spirit of good fun.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Nice placement of the knot? LOL Copper looks good?
I would highly recommend getting another saw blade. It looks like it's destroying the wood. I see a little cracking already so it may be hard to sell.
[:D][;)]

Ravenbsp

It was partially cut when I found it. I just kicked it with the heel of my hiking boot to liberate this fine specimen. I'm going for a "rustic" look here. A niche market I know, but I have faith. [;)]

angboy

Gosh, where's that critiques forum when you need it??? Maybe it could be opened back up just for this one special pen?

First, I don't really like the pen kit choice on this pen. The gold (at least that's what color I think the kit is?) just seems to blend too much with the color of the wood- and it clashes with the copper colored centerband. I say more attention to colors would have helped! Maybe all copper, or the copper centerband with a satin red slimline kit? That would look coordinated but kind of funky!

B, I think you pushed your blank in a little crooked. It doesn't sit completely flush with the nib and the cap.

Next, a little more sanding might have been a good idea!

And IV, I think you may need a little practice on your photography skills! The split color of the background draw one's eye away from the pen and to the background, which isn't the subject of the photo!

I hope you find my criticms constructive![:D][:D]

[}:)][}:)][:D][:D]

BigRob777

Isn't this a copy of that "lonely singles" pen? You know, for people who are pining away for a mate? Well, maybe knot. I know, I'm a real block head. If I buy it, can I wire the funds to you? Uh oh, Bryan's knocking at my door, I'd better bolt.
Rob

gerryr

Bryan, you are a twisted individual.[:D] But we need a few more around here.[:p][:p] This might, I only said might, be better than a pickle pen[:0], no offense Ron.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Lest you think you invented a new style... Jay Pickens did 'Big Mike' about 3 years ago. It addressed the problem of a pen rolling off the desk too easily.

2006225132238_Big%20Mike.jpg
<br />

Of course he didn't have a centerband - he was known as Mr. No-CB at the time [8D]

Hope you don't mind sharing old memories, Jay [:D]

angboy

It looks to me like "Big Mike" has a clicker mechanism on the top, like Randy has been looking for and trying to find the best one of. I think Big Mike might just be what he's looking for!!!

As for the centerband, I like Bryan's pen better, it has that centerband to break it up and softene it in the middle, giving it a nice feminine hourglass sort of shape! [:X]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom