Pin oak slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DocRon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocRon

Here is a slimline made from the front yard pinoak, cut cross grain. PIN OAK (QUERCUS PALUSTRIS) shares with other red oaks the open pore structure and coarse grain. In addition, this tree suffered a lot of wind shake, with lots of cracks, so the blank required a bit of CA to stabilize while turning. I thought it necessary to add the end rings (of bocote) to keep it together on the ends. Altogether, it took me over an hour to turn this one with a sharp skew, exclusive of sanding and plexi finish. I am VERY pleased with it!:D

2007620145849_pinoak-bocote2AW.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Ron,

Your Pin Oak Pen glows it must be doubly satisfying to recover from your own place the timber and to master a difficult proposition of cross grain and cracks.I recently used a stave from a wine barrell in French Oak and cut it across and was rewarded with a good result.
Negotiating in Jerusalem via a friend from there to get some of their Olive sent over.

My wife is of the opinion that I view every timber I see as prospective pens.Keep turning. Peter

Ron,
Well done, the accents are a fine idea and accent the interesting grain. I have many board feet of an oak beam rescued from a barn built in the 1800's here in MI. It, too has a grain like yours and , though difficult to turn due to its hardness, the glow on the surface is incredible!
I think , now, I may have to turn another soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom