Pierced and Cast Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jimmyz

jimmyz

These are a couple of pens that I made last week, using my new homemade piercing tool (less than $80). Although I've been making pens for several years, these are the first pens I've posted on the site.

Started with a mahogany blank, drilled it for a Wall Street II pen tube, mounted the tube and blank on the lathe (not glued) with bushings, and turned it down to almost the final size. Took the blank off the lathe, drew the piercing pattern on the blank and cut it out with the piercing tool. Glued the tube into the blank and cast it in PR. From there, just turned it and finished with CA.

Sorry for the picture - still learning how to take good pictures and then post them.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very different! Kudos.

Is there a noticeable "depth" to the spaces where the brass tube is displayed. This may be very attractive.

Charlie_W

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing your process.
Along with what Mark was asking, are the colored areas the painted tube or did you cast with a colored resin, turn down to the wood and then recast in clear, turn and finish? If so, it would be a double cast-triple turned blank!:biggrin:

Doing so with a translucent resin and a silver tube, these could have a stained glass effect.

Get ready for some to ask about your piercing tool!

Charlie_W

Thanks for the kind comments. The"openings"are cast material. No brass is showing. The wood and castings are at the same level.

Thanks for the explanation. I reread your original post and see that you only cast once and finished with CA. That helps clear things up.
Neat concept!

jimmyz

For anyone who may be interested in the piercing , tool go to youtube and query "Piercing on the Cheap". Great explanation and list of items you will need. I deviated a little from the plan. PM me if you have any questions.

magpens

For anyone who may be interested in the piercing , tool go to youtube and query "Piercing on the Cheap". Great explanation and list of items you will need. I deviated a little from the plan. PM me if you have any questions.

There is an Eddie Castelin video there .... is that the one you're referring to ?

jimmyz

Photos: 40

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz

There is an Eddie Castelin video there .... is that the one you're referring to ?

Do the search on youtube.com for "piercing on the cheap" and pick the one by Glynn Cox of the Denton Turners. At the end of the video, there is a handout that you can print with instructions for making the piercing tool. If you decide to go ahead, let me know and I will share a few extra things that I got from Glynn and learned in the process of making it.

magpens

Thanks, Jim.

I watched Eddie's video first because it was short. . I'll watch the others and get back.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice pens and +1 on the piercing tool. On Jim's recommendation I too got one. Works great especially for the price. If you have a regulator, the tool is only $37 on eBay. I got the on off switch as well but find that a simple valve works just as well for me. Only drawback for me is that my compressor is a little undersized for this so watch out for the air consumption. I get around it by piercing a few minutes and resting a few. It's very relaxing.

magpens

Nice pens and +1 on the piercing tool. On Jim's recommendation I too got one. Works great especially for the price. If you have a regulator, the tool is only $37 on eBay. I got the on off switch as well but find that a simple valve works just as well for me. Only drawback for me is that my compressor is a little undersized for this so watch out for the air consumption. I get around it by piercing a few minutes and resting a few. It's very relaxing.

Bruce,

Did you go the Eddie Castelin route ?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

Bruce,

Did you go the Eddie Castelin route ?
Nope, same as Jim - piercing on the cheap by Glynn Cox. Think it's similar to Eddie with minor differences. Either should work.

Top Bottom