Picture collage pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from moyehow

moyehow

Made a pen for my wife using black and white photos of our little girls.
Comments welcome.
DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dlindquist

That is a fantastic idea. I would like to do one for my own wife, with your permission. Is it decoupage? Is it under CA? Cast in resin? (I hope not, since I don't do any casting).
Any hints would be appreciated.

moyehow

David,
I Turned wood down a little smaller than required, glued on pictures, applied layers of CA alternating thin and thick, sand and polish. Us wax paper when gluing pictures to keep them from sticking to fingers.
Try it and let me know how it turns out.
Thanks for the compliment.
Moye

dlindquist

Thanks so much, Moye. One of those with pictures of our daughter will make a very nice birthday present for the wife. What kind of glue works best for gluing pictures onto wood?
Dave

aggromere

I think that is really cool. Since I conquered the stamp pen I am now working on making one for a friend in the movie business. I have downloaded several movie posters of movies he has worked on and am going to use the same techniques to make a movie pen. We'll see what happens, lol.

I tried several different glues and found the one that worked best for me was plain ole elmers white glue. also having some kinda pen insertion tool or something to hold the barrel while gluing on the pictures is a must. Also, have a popsicle stick handy to flatten out the pictures and remove any bubbles, kinks and ridges.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Another method is to scan the pictures make a collage, print on a label and cast in clear resin. You will get a lot smoother transition of picture to picture. There are many posts on how to do label casts.

mickr

You'll get a " get out of the dog house" pass for quite a spell, after a clever & heartwarming gift as this...great going!

keithlong

Neat idea, man you guys keep coming up with these ideas. How is a fellow penturner supposed to catch up?, LOL Great pen, i love it.

moyehow

Thanks for all the compliments.
Let me give you some more advice. Go ahead and make a picture pen with pictures of your grandkids or kids. Put it back and don't let the wife know you have made it. Then when you want to purchase that new lathe or build a new shop or add to your tools, pull it out of hiding and give it to her. May just be the leverage you need in negotiating that purchase you need to make. I'm just trying to help you out.
Moye

Top Bottom