pics of my x-cut zebrawood..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gokartergo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokartergo

Thanks to all that helped me. The top didn't come out the way I wanted.. But after blowing up over 16 peices I had to settle... Thanks everybody.

PICT0005.sized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Very nice pen. I guess you have now learned that 'X' is quite difficult at times to work with. I always soak my 'X' cuts in thin CA for a bit just to add a bit of strength to the grain. At least it seems to help me a bit when I do. [:D]

gokartergo

I think what helped the most was the CA.. When I got it about half way down I coated it with CA.. Let it dry and cut some more.. Did that about three times until the end. But it was a compo of everybody's advice that made it...[:)]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking pen Dan. I am going to turn a couple more of the zebra wood pens.

Look at the post on my duck call here, to see the 45° x-cut. I didn't have any problems with turning it. Also, look at the grain of light to dark wood on mine. I find that the greater contrasted wood turns better for me. I have some with less of the dark wood and it catches more than what the duck call does. I will say that I sharpened my chisels before hand and "touched" them up about 4 times during the turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom