Picasso Stretch and Do Hickey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TurnaPen

TurnaPen

Received some Stretch Roller ball kits and some blanks as a gift.
This particular blank is from Jeff Powell of the IAP, he called it Picasso blank so I stuck with the name. You will note it is a closed end with Do Hickey. I wish I could say it was planned that way- but no- the Do Hickey was added to save the blank from being scrapped.
I actually finished the blank with no Do Hickey, in putting it together the end of the blank just crumbled because it was so thin, I was being extra careful and had cushioning around the end to spread the force-but-crack.
So, do hickey plan swung into action- I didn't feel like doing it , had to sand millions of layers of CA off, glue the do hickey, cut it back sand and then apply another million layers of CA(felt like it). All I wanted was to finish so I could take a rest.
Well this is the final result.
I would like a proper sized closed end mandrel for this pen, the one I used was just a little small (for another size pen), and it allowed some unwanted wobble.
Meanwhile, this awaits your valued input. Amos

Attachments

• P1040332 (Small).JPG
    P1040332 (Small).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 219
  • P1040336 (Small).JPG
    P1040336 (Small).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 111
  • P1040343 (Small).JPG
    P1040343 (Small).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 127
  • P1040344 (Small).JPG
    P1040344 (Small).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P1040352 (Small).JPG
    P1040352 (Small).JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 141
  • P1040348 (Small).JPG
    P1040348 (Small).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 126
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manny

nice save Amos. The black transition to the Do Hickey works nicely.
This whole hobby it seems is about adapting and cover coming you did these things well here imho.

Manny

workinforwood

It looks really awesome to me Amos. Do you glue tubes all the way to the end of your closed end pens? I have found that I get best results if I turn a dowel with a little tennon so the outside of the dowel is the same as the OD of the tube, and the dowel squeezes into the tube by a 1/4" or so as well. I then drill the center of the dowel for the refill but don't drill all the way through. I can then paint the tube and the dowel as one peice and then glue all that into the pen. It is glued to the sides and the end, so unless you turn the end micro thin, it has lots if support from the inside. Blanks like these need strength inside, even if it's only just tubes, because you can't trust the resin to hold to the wood throughout every hard knock on the pen.

Top Bottom