Photo Problems !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rccrazybill

rccrazybill

I'm trying to get the photo's to look better , Tell me what you think . I get too frustrated trying to make the pictures show the actual quality of the turnings.
tn_brush1.jpg
tn_brush2.jpg
tn_brush3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Bill !!! Those are nice ! Good work .You think you have problems ? Take a look at this one !! Really , I'm no photo critic . That is one nice brush .

200833043918_IMG_0052.jpg

rlharding

Bill, there are a couple of guys who have the knowledge to explain what is wrong with the pics. From a lay perspective:
I 1st is very good, just a litle out of focus at the edge of the brush. The middle is totally out of focus -hand shake?
The 3rd is great at the end, but the brush top is much to dark.

Chuck, you pen is blurred. Try taking it again?

r

Dan_F

Bill---I think your problem is that you are not using a wide enough aperture in your lens, which results in part of the object being in focus, while other parts are not. You need to use an f-stop of at least 8, which will open the aperture enough to give you greater depth of field (area of focus). The first picture is under exposed by a bit, a longer shutter speed will help that.

If this all sounds like greek to you, look on the dial that lets you select which mode the camera operates in, and find "aperture priority" mode, which will probably just be an "A" on the wheel, or whatever way the camera has to select the mode of operation. This will allow you to select an aperture setting (f-stop). There will be some sort of display to let you do this, showing "F" followed by a number, starting at 2.8, and going up to anywhere from 8 to 22 or 32 depending on the camera. The higher the number, the smaller the lens opening, or aperture.

F 2.8 will therefore let the most light in, but give you the shortest depth of field, resulting in a small area where things are in focus. This is what you have in the pics you posted. If you set a higher number f-stop, the lens opening will be smaller, letting in less light, but keeping more of the object in focus. I suggest a minimum of F 8, higher if your camera will go farther (my digital only goes to 8)

As a result of decreasing the aperture, you will have to use a slower shutter speed than with it wide open. In aperture priority, you set the aperture and the camera will select what it thinks is the best shutter speed. You might have to alter that depending on your subject and background. There should be a way to override the selected shutter speed if the photo is too dark or too light. You may have to consult the manual to learn how to do that.

You will probably need a tripod to take clear pictures with an adequate depth of field for larger objects like these shaving brushes.

My best suggestion is to learn how to shoot in manual mode, so that you have full control of everything. This is a much easier process to learn in digital than with film, where you would have to wait for pictures to be developed to see how you did. I'll look for a good site that covers the basics of exposure and post it here. Once you learn the terminology and the few basic rules, its not that difficult, and well worth the effort to learn.

Dan

Top Bottom