phoenix v1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Version #1 , the phoenix pen. Modified cigar style thanks to Butch's help. The pen is what I consider a failure. It's the first time I poured a pen, and there are bubbles stuck to the casting. There's a few other things I'd do different on the next attempt too, like the finial I'd prefer to carve it more like flames. Anyhow, it's a series of first for me. First time I put an intarsia on a pen, the wings wrap almost all the way around the pen, the intarsia is 1/8 thick at it's thickest point. First modified cigar, first finial twist, first hidden clip, first pour. My mother likes it though, so she can take it out of my site.

Attachments

• finished 008.jpg
    finished 008.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 294
  • finished 006.jpg
    finished 006.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 218
  • finished 007.jpg
    finished 007.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Jeff , I think it came out great for a first try , allot of firsts for all of them to work perfectly . I've done several tries at casting over a wood barrel and have had about the same luck as you so far , my problem has been with the PR shrinking and pulling away from the wood so next time I'm going to use Alumilite instead of PR ,we'll see if that works better .

workinforwood

I am picking up a gallon of alumilite on friday too, hoping that will help. I'll brush the alumilite with no part b onto the pen, then cast it. What sucks is it took about 20hrs to make that barrel! Have a leak in the pot too which is driving me nuts. Right where the fitting goes into the pot there's a rubber washer on both sides and it leaks through the washer. Can't seem to get it to unbolt so I can put something on the rubber washer to help it seal. I'll keep trying. I had so many issues building this pen it's too much to mention, but mistakes is learning!

Top Bottom