Phoenix pen with Acrylic and Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Waluy

Waluy

Created a "design opportunity" while turning it. I gouged all the way down to the brass tube on the finial end. To remedy the problem I turned an equal size off both ends and glues pieces of Corian on. I think if I had it to do over I would have used contrasting pieces of Corian but the customer wanted only white and black so I was hopeful the white corian would be acceptable.

One thing I learned the Phoenix pen kit leave almost nothing on the tube at the finial end (like less than a mm).

As always C&C welcome.

1456106_533543166735719_1316407038_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Waluy

How is that phoenix pen? seem solid or not?
Kinda concerned that it leaves so little on the end in material
Construction wise it feels a lot like the Wall Street III, fairly solid but pretty easy to twist to far when closing and unscrew it from the transmission.

I too am pretty concerned about the lack of material on the end and I don't think I will be offering it anymore due to that unless I come up with a different clip end that looks ok with it. I did notice after posting the picture that there are two cracks on the clip end that I am assuming is a mixture of so little material and probably going in just slightly skewed.

interesting save! what's the black and white blank called? from?

Pitoon
The blank is Area 51 from Woodturningz

Last edited:

08K.80

I would have used black. With all the black on the metal parts and in the blank, I think it may have looked more intentional. With the whites not matching, it throws it off to me.:wink:

Only one chicks opinion...

SteveG

I have not held/seen this pen, but from your pic, it looks like a step-up with the blank at the finial end will look good, thus leaving the material a bit thicker. What do you think as you hold the pen in hand and visualize my suggested design change?

Steve

Waluy

I would have used black. With all the black on the metal parts and in the blank, I think it may have looked more intentional. With the whites not matching, it throws it off to me.:wink:

Only one chicks opinion...

I agree black would have probably made it look more intentional. If I had happened to have some black corian (or really any black) laying around I would have likely gone that route.

I have not held/seen this pen, but from your pic, it looks like a step-up with the blank at the finial end will look good, thus leaving the material a bit thicker. What do you think as you hold the pen in hand and visualize my suggested design change?

Steve

That might look alright maybe I will have to consider that when I do the one to replace this one. (The customer liked it but wants to see one with out the design opportunity. He did say he may buy both, one with black ink and one with blue ink.)

Waluy

Being the curious type I am I decided to do a little math and figure out exactly how much material is left on the tube at the clip end if you go to the bushings.
Bushing for that end measures 0.47"
You drill a 27/64" hole assuming a perfect sized hole that is 0.421875"
0.47-0.421875= 0.048125 total difference.
Divide that by 2 since it is split evenly and you are left with 0.0240625" of an inch or 0.6111875mm of material wrapped around the tube.

I don't know about anyone else but to me the 0.691mm left on a slimeline is cutting it close taking away that extra 0.08mm is way to close especially on a fatter pen body.

Top Bottom