Phoenix Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jwoodwright

jwoodwright

Finally decided to try another pen. Want something special to give as gifts. Arthritis was behaving, so here it is: Gold Phoenix with Corian. The Corian has gold color flowing through it. Was happy to get this variety.

Attachments

• Phoenix.jpg
    Phoenix.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

t001xa22

John, your pen looks great. I haven't made a Phoenix yet, but I sure like its profile and construction. So, how is Corian to turn? Haven't tried that yet either.

RogerH

Hey Bill- you asked: "So, how is Corian to turn? Haven't tried that yet either. "

I am no expert, but from the half dozen I have done, I LOVE corian. I find it much easier to turn/sand/polish than tru-stone, and I think it gives a similarly classy appearance.

There is a member on this site that has the word corian in his name, and I therefore assume that he probably has vast experience with it. I think he would be the "expert" you are looking for.

Roger

P.S. to John: gorgeous work-beautifu pen.

t001xa22

Roger, thank you for the info. I think I will give this stuff a try. It really looks interesting and is such a beautiful material.

keithlong

Hey Bill,
I have turned several pieces of corian and it is fun to turn, polishes real nice, even great for laminatinh. Just be sure to have sharp tools. OH! and nice pen. How do you like that kit?

jwoodwright

Turning Corian

Bill,
I'm no expert. I have used Corian since 1998 when I started pen making. Sharp tools are a must. If you get ribbons, you're "in the groove". Anything else and it's like a scraper and getting tiny junk and chip out. I've grown to like a skew and it does great. A very sharp spindle gouge, using the lower cutting edge is also great.

If you have questions, I'm willing to help. Note: not all stuff called corian is corian, some is avanoite and some wilsonart. Seeing some from China and Korea. Had some that smelled like Gain Clothes Soap. Even with the air cleaner running and a fan and dust mask, gave me fits. Smell made me sneeze to I cried. Oh! Magic number is 350 degrees to bend it. NOT IN HOME OVEN!!!!!

Here's a few that I've glued and turned. My photo album disappeared when they did a upgrade and I don't have the old pix on this computer. I had pages of pens.

I've got more corian than I can ever possibly turn. I've been an IAP member almost from the beginning. In fact I was a lurker at first... I've traded boxes of corian from about 12 states.
Here in Alaska, wood is rather plain.

I appreciate the kind words and I also like the fact of how IAP has grown and so many new pen turners. We've loss many talented pen makers and all I can hope is they all made it to Heaven. They are missed.

Attachments

• Copper Slimline.jpg
    Copper Slimline.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Classica Corian.jpg
    Classica Corian.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Brown Speckled Corian Cigar 005.jpg
    Brown Speckled Corian Cigar 005.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Corian pens 004.jpg
    Corian pens 004.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Confetti Pen 003.jpg
    Confetti Pen 003.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

t001xa22

Wow, John, you have turned some real beauties. I am looking forward to getting into some Corian. Thanks for your information.

Top Bottom