Phoenix Electric Green

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

Another Phoenix pen from Woodturningz, in gunmetal. The blank is a Rhino called Electric Green. Another nice looking Rhino blank. I have rarely been disappointed by them.

Attachments

• done09.JPG
    done09.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 99
  • done10.JPG
    done10.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 102
  • done11.JPG
    done11.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 102
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 108
  • done08.JPG
    done08.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 96
  • done02.JPG
    done02.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 140
  • done03.JPG
    done03.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 155
  • done04.JPG
    done04.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 142
  • done05.JPG
    done05.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 101
  • done06.JPG
    done06.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I have been using dry coarse sandpaper on my last few pens, for final shaping. It makes it easier to get the blank to the bushing diameter on the ends, which pleases the OCD side of me. It's also easier to form the final shape of the body. It does work better on more brittle blanks, like Woodshed and Rhino. I am a little worried, though, that this will make the bushings smaller. I don't turn all that many pens, and haven't noticed any problems yet. I will keep an eye on the bushings, and measure them periodically with a digital caliper. The first photo is after 120 grit, the second is after 240, and the third is after wet sanding with 320, 400, and 500. The last photo is after final polishing.

Attachments

• sanded02.JPG
    sanded02.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 124
  • polished01.JPG
    polished01.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 121
  • sanded03.JPG
    sanded03.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 102
  • sanded01.JPG
    sanded01.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 102

Sappheiros

Nice looking pen!

I understand the worry about bushings, but I think it would take many pens before the bushings go down noticeably. Like you said, keep measuring them. Maybe keep a pen turners log! That might be a good idea actually...

qquake

Nice looking pen!

I understand the worry about bushings, but I think it would take many pens before the bushings go down noticeably. Like you said, keep measuring them. Maybe keep a pen turners log! That might be a good idea actually...

A log really is a good idea. Unfortunately, in the past I've had a hard time keeping logs. One of my other hobbies is rocketry, and I know people who keep detailed logs of all their launches. Motor size, altitude, weather conditions, etc. I've tried keeping my own log, but utterly failed. I'm certain laziness is one of the reasons.

Sappheiros

A log really is a good idea. Unfortunately, in the past I've had a hard time keeping logs. One of my other hobbies is rocketry, and I know people who keep detailed logs of all their launches. Motor size, altitude, weather conditions, etc. I've tried keeping my own log, but utterly failed. I'm certain laziness is one of the reasons.

A verbal log could work out better for you maybe. A dictaphone might be what you need. If you think a new tool might be useful but are already thinking about how you won't use it, probably not the best idea to get it! A good rule of mine that seems to help me cut down on that unnecessary spending!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice looking pen!

I rarely do this, but I'll poke you and disagree (politely :tongue:). I have used the same technique also when necessary, and it will rapidly wear down the bushings (mine, maybe not yours). Quite possibly I abuse my bushings. :eek:

BUT, using calipers very consistently to check the dimensions, and all is fine. Truth be told; most of my bushings are well under specs! I still use them with a mandrel saver, one blank at a time.

And I ignore the bushing dimensions for final cuts and measure the components and the blank repeatedly for the final dimensions.

I think we are actually in agreement - Use your calipers to measure the components and your blank for final cuts and sanding.

Have FUN!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice looking pen!

Wow, model rocketry! In 1973-1976 I and and my brother and several friends would build rockets from Estes and Centuri all summer. Then launch them one week before school started in August in a 20 acre field. We would dig out the few we could track and find and rebuild.

In 1975 our family took a road trip to Colorado, Yellowstone and back home to Ohio. The first "event" was a stop at the Estes Factory in Colorado.

To this day my Mom (86) cannot understand why we stopped in Estes, CO... But when we got to the Teton Mts she was all good!

Ah, memories. Thanks for the memories!

qquake

Wow, model rocketry! In 1973-1976 I and and my brother and several friends would build rockets from Estes and Centuri all summer. Then launch them one week before school started in August in a 20 acre field. We would dig out the few we could track and find and rebuild.

In 1975 our family took a road trip to Colorado, Yellowstone and back home to Ohio. The first "event" was a stop at the Estes Factory in Colorado.

To this day my Mom (86) cannot understand why we stopped in Estes, CO... But when we got to the Teton Mts she was all good!

Ah, memories. Thanks for the memories!

I would have loved to visit Estes back then! I started model rockets in 1972, when I saw an Estes ad in Boys Life magazine. I've launched them on and off ever since. As I get older, they keep getting bigger and more expensive. LOL

Attachments

• P1100052.JPG
    P1100052.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 101
  • P1100067.JPG
    P1100067.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMGP6165.JPG
    IMGP6165.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMGP6158.JPG
    IMGP6158.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMGP6179.JPG
    IMGP6179.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP2034.JPG
    IMGP2034.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 125
  • IMGP2063.JPG
    IMGP2063.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMGP2089.JPG
    IMGP2089.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 98

OZturner

Beautiful, Pen, Jim.
Glorious Blank.
I like the photographs you have taken to show the noticeable difference between the progressive grits, and techniques.
I support Mark, with his comments of the bushes.
I use my bushes Firstly, as a means of fitting the blank to the mandrel.
Secondly as an proximity indicator of the desired finished dimension,
Thirdly, to provide the necessary clamping pressure to rotate the blank.
Fourthly , so that I know initially, and progressively, how much material I have to remove.
When I am close to the Bush dimension I then use the calipers, and then sand to obtain the required finishing dimension, based on the kit's components, which may not necessarily be the dimension of the bush.
Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

Sappheiros

I rarely do this, but I'll poke you and disagree (politely :tongue:). I have used the same technique also when necessary, and it will rapidly wear down the bushings (mine, maybe not yours). Quite possibly I abuse my bushings. :eek:

BUT, using calipers very consistently to check the dimensions, and all is fine. Truth be told; most of my bushings are well under specs! I still use them with a mandrel saver, one blank at a time.

And I ignore the bushing dimensions for final cuts and measure the components and the blank repeatedly for the final dimensions.

I think we are actually in agreement - Use your calipers to measure the components and your blank for final cuts and sanding.

Have FUN!

Don't worry Mark, I quite enjoy polite disagreements! You're definitely right there, though. We really are in agreement: use calipers frequently to prevent disaster!

When sanding down the blanks, I've been much more cautious ever since my first pen when I ended up with minimal metal dust in the woodgrain!

Top Bottom