Phidias; Parthanon Architect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrPepper8412

DrPepper8412

The Mathamatician/architect who designed the parthanon, supposedly used a formula known as the golden ratio. This ratio is also found in nature, such as a sunflower, a human face, etc. Recently, I had a custom order to build a pen around this ratio. It was to be made of African blackwood and pink ivory. The pen itself was a rediculous build, and took far longer to make than it should have, but fantastically enough, once built around the golden ratio, it became perfectly balanced.

This is a rhodium gentlemans kit, with a rhodium nib, invisible clip, and CA finish. When built to specifications, the final pen is over 7 inches long; much larger than a normal pen.

Attachments

• IAPPhidias.jpg
    IAPPhidias.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IAPPhidias Open.jpg
    IAPPhidias Open.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IAPPhidias Balance1.jpg
    IAPPhidias Balance1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 243
  • IAPPhidias Balance2.jpg
    IAPPhidias Balance2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Fibonacci would be duly impressed by this pen 1 to .618 is a fantastic ratio of design elements, you pen looks well thought out to achieve such a result. did you carry the equation all the way out to the 9th place??, :biggrin::biggrin:

Just kidding, we have a turner in our club that is a Fibonacci fanatic, I always just figure 1 to 2/3rds ratio is close enough for me:wink::wink:

DrPepper8412

Thank you all for the comments!

Ken, Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be that accurate :biggrin: However, I had a friend lazer-cut the blanks, so it is accurate to thousandths of an inch!

Phillip, a great starting spot is the wikipedia entry on "Golden Ratio". As far as a tutorial, It's in essence an extremely precise segment, an invisible clip, and a TON of patience. If you really want to know more, feel free to PM me!

leaycraft

To make life easy- and use a gadget (who doesn't need to have a few)- go to Lee Valley Toolshttp://www.leevalley.com/ and purchase the Golden Ratio Rulers, they take some of the guesswork out of the measurement / conversions. also great people/company- over 15 years dealing with them never a problem.

DrPepper8412

Thanks for all your comments guys (and gals of course!) I'm missing turning at the moment, being at college and away from my shop...hoping to get some serious turning done when I go back home in a month!

Top Bottom