Phenolic Laminate pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

Just can't help but keep playing with new stuff. This is some phenolic laminate with cotton fill. Polished to 12,000 then a light coat of beeswax. More info to follow with blank availability soon.

Image Insert:
200492525023_new_material_pen.jpg

83.88KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

I remember reading that this stuff is hazardous... [:(] I found one acticle and there are more... I worry too much...

Safety Note

When you are machining Phenolic inserts they will tend to spill out clouds of noxious dark smoke and fumes. (It smells like burning plastic). For safety you should wear eye, ear, and lung protection. The dust a fumes are considered by OSHA to be a health risk. The best protection comes from a carbon-filtered pesticide type gas mask. A regular cotton dusk mask will do little to protect you. Make sure the area you are working in is well ventilated. If you work in your garage, open the doors. If you work in your basement, consider doing as much of the machining as possible outside.

low_48

I'm going to research more, but I think that wood dust is listed as a harzard for dust. Don't think this material is any more dangerous except for maybe the formaldahyde. Where did you read your hazard warnings?

jwoodwright

I saw this article for making a router base plate and they posted about the hazards on Wood-Online... Like I said, I worry...[:)]

Phenolic Insert. Phenolic material is a dark plastic-like resin. ... The dust a fumes are considered by OSHA to be a health risk.
http://www.wood-worker.com/plans/router/phenolic.htm

jwoodwright

Here's a OSHA Chart:
Some rough stuff out there...

TABLE III:1-1. ORGAN SYSTEM TARGET. Composite
component

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Organ system target
(possible target)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Known (possible)
health effect

Resins
Epoxy resins Skin, lungs, eyes Contact and allergic dermatitis, conjunctivitis
Polyurethane resins Lungs, skin, eyes Respiratory sensitization, contact dermatitis, conjunctivitis
Phenol formaldehyde Skin, lungs, eyes As above (potential carcinogen) Bismaleimides (BMI) Skin, lungs, eyes As above (potential carcinogen)
Polyamides Skin, lungs, eyes As above (potential carcinogen)
Reinforcing materials
Aramid fibers Skin (lungs) Skin and respiratory irritation, contact dermatitis (chronic interstitial lung disease)
Carbon/graphite fibers Skin (lungs) As noted for aramid fibers
Glass fibers (continuous filament) Skin (lungs) As noted above
Hardeners and curing agents
Diaminodiphenylsulfone -- No known effects with workplace exposure
Methylenedianiline Liver, skin Hepatotoxicity, suspect human carcinogen
Other aromatic amines
Meta-phenylenediamine (MPDA) Liver, skin (kidney, bladder) Hepatitis, contact dermatitis (kidney and bladder cancer)
Aliphatic andcyclo-aliphatic amines Eyes, skin Severe irritation, contact dermatitis
Polyaminoamide Eyes, skin Irritation (sensitization)
Anhydride Eyes, lungs, skin Severe eye and skin irritation, respiratory sensitization, contact dermatitis

woodman928

Very Nice pin where did you get the material.
Also can anyone one name something that is not hazardous to your health or that OSHA does not have a warning on and yes wood dust is listed and hazardous and western red cedar is listed as the worst dust. Its the one they test PPM of airborne particles to set the standards with. I had to have the sheets on hand for the employees in my wood shop. Lord knows we cant rely on anyone using common sense anymore.
Enough ranting back to the wood shop dust I LIKE IT
[}:)]

low_48

That's just great Mac, I've been using Di-Hydrogen Oxide during the sanding process to keep down the dust!!!!!!!!!!!! Now what is going to happen to me? Now I'M worried.

I used to wash my hands with gasoline when I was a kid to get the lead base paint off my hands and clean paintbrushes. Let alone the few times I had to borrow gas with a hose and ingest some. Then there was the times I used lacquer thinner to etc............

It appears that heat will add to the dangers of this material. The only time I get that is when drilling the blanks. Might add a Di-Hydrogen Oxide mist to keep them cooler, here we go again!

I got the material from the manufacturer in Iowa. Working now towards setting up a supply line to get pen blanks. More information to follow.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom