Pheasantwood Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsmith

To those of you who responded to my post on pheasantwood here is the finished product. I decided to go with a gold cigar kit and turn the pen fairly large to experience as much of the grain as possible.

I'm not real happy with the way this one turned out and am posting the pictures so others see what the wood looks like turned.

Couple of notes, this wood is hard - I went threw three skews turning this, finally resorted to a scrapper for shaping. I never really got shavings from this, it was one step up of from sawdust. I did not find that it sanded well either. It kept clogging the sand paper and generated a lot of heat even with a light touch. When I tried wet sanding, the wood turned almost black, which then necessitated more sanding to remove the black layer. My impression is that at least this blank was more difficult to shape than desert ironwood.

The blank was sanded to MM12000 then buffed. The finish is Hut Crystal Coat.

On the positive side, the wood does turn from gold to silver as you rotate it through the light, but only in the flat sawn areas.

Over all it was an interesting wood to try.

200552017232_Pheasantwood%20001.jpg

200552017431_Pheasantwood%20002.jpg

200552017521_Pheasantwood%20003.jpg

200552017620_Pheasantwood%20004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Eric,
At least it has some interesting characteristics! It almost looks like fingerprints! Nice job with it, despite the problems.

Fangar

I like the pen. It does look like you buffed the gold off of the tip though. Might just be the lighting.

Thanks for sharing.

James

emsmith

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />I like the pen. It does look like you buffed the gold off of the tip though. Might just be the lighting.

Thanks for sharing.

James

I hope it is just the light, pics were taken outside on a picnic table around noon today.

Now that I've paid more attention to the photos it also looks like there is a step between the wood of the lower barrel and the nib. This is another trick of the light, in fact the joint is flush all the way around. Thinking its time I started working on the photography (like I need another hobby[:)]).

Thanks for looking.

atvrules1

Very nicely done Eric. Sounds like it was a bear to work on, but I love the end result. I'm right there with the fingerprint comments. Maybe your local law enforcement would like to take a look at it for special presentations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom