Pheasant Feathers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from omb76

omb76

This is one of John U's blanks that I got from Exotic's. I think these are just about my favorite thing to turn. My "daily driver" pen is also a pheasant feather Jr. Statesman. I was in my local Woodcraft yesterday and the owner was marvling over the pen, makes you feel good. :biggrin:

Sanded to 400, then MM to 12000, then lots of plastic polish. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

John's blanks are just fantastic because he knows just how to use the colors of the feathers. You did it proud. Thanks for showing.

I have been trying to win a few of these in the auction but looks like I am being outbid. :frown:

ctubbs

Beautiful blanks done up by a craftsman with his tools. Both of you should b e proud of that wonderful pen. Congratulations.
I do have a question Dave. You mention MM to 12000 and then polishing. I have heard that to do that is a waste. I tried to mm 12000 blank and then polish the other one half of the blank then look at both sides with my 40X microscope. I'll admit that my eyes are not as good as once, but I could see no difference in the two halves. Has anyone else tried this and if so, what were your findings? If 12000mm is as good as polish, why am I wasting my time? Thank you and please do not let me hijack this thread.
Charles

wiset1

There's something so regal about these blanks. Truly adds a polished look to any kit used...amazing work Dave

omb76

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Charles, I've found that I can always tell a difference between the final 12000 of MM and after I'm done polishing. Polishing just seems to bring that perfect finish out and wouldn't consider a pen finished without polishing. Atleast for me that is. I usually will also sit in the evenings and put a coat of Ren wax on it while I'm watching tv. Keeps my hands busy, and keeps finger prints to a minimum on the pen. You're right though, there isn't just one perfect way to create and finish a pen, it's what works best and yields the best results for whoever is creating it. That is what helps makes this a fun hobby, a person is always able to learn another way of doing something! :)

toolcrazy

That is a gorgeous pen.

I wish I could get a hold of some of those blanks. But it seems when I have the cash, they are gone.

But that is me, day late and a dollar short.

Maybe if someone would buy web space, I wouldn't be a dollar short. ;) :)

Top Bottom