Petroglyphs in Granite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spiritwoodturner

S

spiritwoodturner

I don't actually know who started with the Rotini pasta, but Eugene's the first I've seen, so I'll give him credit and my thanks for lighting the match in me to work on these!

I had a dream one night. I'd been asking the Universe where my art should go, I was a bit frustrated that I just coudn't come up with anything "Mine", so in my dream I started making bowls with ancient rock art reproductions in them, carved out and then filled with shell or stone. I guess the spark for that came from an article I read a few years ago by Stephen Hatcher, who does inlay in bowls. The guy is wacko great, and he's actually teaching at Anderson Ranch right in my backyard of Aspen this summer. But I digress. I bought myself a Mastercarve carver/burner, and am working on my ideas as we speak.

But then, this pasta always looked like Petroglyphs anyway, so why not work on a background media like stone to set them in? First, I tried black sand. WOW, what a crummy idea! On the first cut on my Proxxon table saw with carbide-tipped blade, it looked like that old bucksaw off The 3 Stooges when Moe ran it over Curly's head!!! Teeth every which way! So tossed those (and had my blade UnStoogied), went to black glitter, hated it, tried a mess of colored glitter, looked like something one of my kids yacked up when they were 2, so was getting flusterated. Then, I went to my local Plastics dealer and they had Castin' Crafts Faux Granite. It comes in a bag and dang, it looks a lot like stone, kinda like Corian. They make about 6 varieties, so of course I bought them all. I'm like the rube at a carnival, if they said they had 60 different ones, I'd have bought them all, sight unseen.

ANYWAY, here's the first finished product. My color balance is a bit off, it's really a nice grey, looks surpisingly like Granite. Not fanatical about the kit, but right now I'm concentrating more on the medium, and had a bunch of these handy.

As always, comments and criticisms/critiques welcome!

Thanks,
Dale

Attachments

• IAP Petro.jpg
    IAP Petro.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 360
  • IAP Petro2.jpg
    IAP Petro2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IAP Petro3.jpg
    IAP Petro3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IAP Retro4.jpg
    IAP Retro4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 279
  • IAP Retro5.jpg
    IAP Retro5.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bad

Dale:
That's a great looking pen. You seem to have hit on an original idea for making pens. You just reinforced something I read back in the 70's. It basically said to trust your dreams because it's usually your subconscious telling you something. In this case it was your subconscious giving you a great idea. I don't usually follow these new age mumbo jumbo fads, but this one always seemed to have a grain of truth to it. Go with it and see what else you can come up with.

S

spiritwoodturner

Thanks guys!

Jim, it is kinda like rock!!! I think it's harder. The Faux Granite has some Flubber or something in it.

Charlie, it IS a plus! And so darned rare!!!

Bruce, I couldn't agree more. There's more than we know about this "life" thing. We should listen more often. I'm stickin' with it! I call my subconscious my Spirit. If I woulda listened closer, I never woulda been in my plane crash (I heard, just didn't listen), but that's a story for a PM.

Anyway, thanks again!

Dale

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Yeah, the cereal wasn't such a good idea. I thought it would work out nicely,
with the pink hearts, green clovers etc. etc. but it was a disaster.
Next time I'm going to try it without the milk.

broitblat

Barry, here's their stuff...http://store.creative-wholesale.com...faux+granite&SortField=Free3 DESC,ProductName . It's not where I get it, I'm lucky enough to have a plastics dealer close-by that carries it, but that's the same stuff I get. Some of it might be close to what you're looking for.

Hope that helps,
Dale
Thanks, Dale.

Cool stuff and I may have to try it. My question about sandstone was not with a specific project in mind. I just pictured some petroglyphs I'd seen in what looked like sandstone.

Your idea just spawns a whole bunch of other thoughts (although I don't know how many of them will actually work :redface:)

-Barry

Top Bottom