Perfect Fit Wild Cherry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Since a certain member (you know who you are! :) ) thinks I don't turn pens, I thought I would post one from a small Christmas order. It is a chrome Perfect Fit made from wild cherry from the buyer's land. I have some more from the order and will try to post them later. Finish is that danged old "plasticy" CA. :wink:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Cav turned some pens?????? Now I know we need to do an intervention!!

Nice work Cav. pretty wood, and not bad for a plasticy finish? (are you sure that's a real word)????

VisExp

Nice Post, Good Joke. Oops, sorry, not your normal posting Cav :biggrin:

That's a beautiful looking pen and a great finish! The Perfect Fit is a great kit, one of my favorites.

ldb2000

Looks great Cav, lovely wood that really suits that plating, is the top barrel a little overturned where it meets the centreband?

Ssshhhhh , if he's turning he's not posting so your lead in the post count is safe .:devil::biggrin:

Beautiful pen Cav . Lovely wood and a fantastic "Plasticy" finish .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
GREAT lookin pen Cav!!!

I know you USED to turn pens, but I thought you retired, undefeated!!!

Pretty cherry! Do some more!!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Thanks for the kind??? comments everyone. :confused::wink: Mark, I think it is just the angle of the photo, rather than overturning. I took it to work today to deliver; I will check it in the morning. One of my assistants is my toughest critique person, and she didn't notice any overturning.

Dario

How would you apply potassium dichromate to a pen? What wood does it work or not work on to create a patina?

While it works to speed aging (oxidizing agent), it is very dangerous.

Try using LYE (caustic soda) instead. It is also bad but not as bad.

If you have oven cleaner, try it on a scrap wood. :wink: I tried it on my fresh TX Mt Laurel and the results are amazing and instant. Will try to post sample pics later.

BTW, use caution when handling chemicals and always consult their corresponding MSDS.

GouletPens

Cindy,

It comes in crystal form, and you dilute it in distilled water, then rub with a cloth (and gloves cuz it's nasty stuff), let dry, and finish as usual. It works well for woods that naturally patina over time like cherry and mahogany, but you'd have to get some and try it on your favorite woods to see what you like.

DSallee

My... my... my... I guess the rumor IS true! .... You DO actually turn pens.. :eek:

Thanks for sharing your newly developed talent my friend! :wink:

Dave

Top Bottom