Perfect Fit Convertible - Mammoth Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodpens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

This is one of the few Mammoth Ivory pens that I made that did not develop any cracks. The color is a little more tan than much of the ivory I have turned. I think the laser engraving worked out well. I bought the ivory from Banyan Bay for $75 for 5/8" blanks. I don't sell ivory pens like this anymore due to the likelihood of cracking. I only sell ivory in the form of inlays now.
200521323261_JLIvory.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Jim
this is a great looking pen in one of my favourite kits!! Is there any chance the Ivory may shatter if the pen is dropped on a hard floor?? Is the engraving a laser engraving?
Rudy
SE MI

Gregory Huey

Jim
I do the same, Just could'nt make one that did'nt crack and I have tried to turn them evey way I know. Made one for a guy in Washington state, when it left her no cracks by the time he got there it had a hair line crack in it. I guess I need to use the alternative stuff.

timdaleiden

Jim,

Very nice pen of course. I am curious about a few things. First, does it smell like antler to turn? Second, has anybody ever tried have these blanks professionally stabilized? It's such a shame to lose such an interesting material.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That is an amazingly beautiful pen. The cracking is a significant issue with both the mammoth and with elephant, walrus and narwhal ivory. The first person to figure out a way to keep these natural materials from cracking is going to make a fortune. Do you keep your pen in a humidor? According to a friend, he keeps his ivory pen in one and it has not deeloped any cracks in 3-4 years.

woodpens

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />Jim
this is a great looking pen in one of my favourite kits!! Is there any chance the Ivory may shatter if the pen is dropped on a hard floor?? Is the engraving a laser engraving?
Thanks, Rudy. There is a strong possibility of cracking if dropped on the floor. You've got to be careful with this stuff. The engraving was done by laser.

woodpens

Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />Jim,
Very nice pen of course. I am curious about a few things. First, does it smell like antler to turn? Second, has anybody ever tried have these blanks professionally stabilized? It's such a shame to lose such an interesting material.
Tim,
Ivory doesn't smell nearly as bad as antler. It does have a similar smell, but it is faint in comparison to antler. There would be no penetration during the stabilization process. The problem does occur when there is a change in temperature or humidity. The humidor idea does work, but this pen has survived in a variety of locations, all of which are in Alabama.

woodpens

Originally posted by btboone
<br />That's an interesting point Anthony. Out of curiosity, about what does a blank of mammoth ivory run?
Bruce,
The price is about $75 for two half blanks. That's enough for one pen. They also sell slabs that are goood for inlays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom