Perfect Fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

I find segmented pens very satisfying. They seem to satisfy both the creative and the technical sides of my brain. This pen leans more towards satisfying the technical side. I say this because it is not my design. It is an attempt at a copy of one of Eagle's designs.

Like many of you, I have looked at Eagles creations and thought to myself "How on earth did he do that?" I wanted to find out. I've been thinking about and working on this pen for a long, long time. It took me three or four months to figure out the starting point and another couple of months to come up with a pen that I felt comfortable to show here. Although the blank is dressed in a Perfect Fit, it is far from Perfect! There are many mistakes and areas I can improve.

A short while after joining the IAP I posted a question. A couple of hours later my phone rang. I answered and a rough voice said "This is Eagle, about that question you posted". Thus began many enjoyable conversations and e-mail exchanges.

I'd like to thank Eagle for his help with both this pen and some of the other segmented pens I've made. The help certainly did not come in the form of a tutorial. He recognized that the journey was as important to me as the destination, and helped by dropping small bread crumbs along the path. Much I learnt by trail and error but if I got lost I found a crumb to keep me on the right path. I feel I learnt so much more this way.

Attempting one of his designs gives one a new appreciation for his craftsmanship.

Thanks again Eagle!

As always, your comments/critiques are appreciated.

ACT_6532-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Sinewy. That's great Keith; really great. Bravo. Not just for the pen but for the road taken. You've been having a great journey. Keep enjoying the ride!

LEAP

Keith, Thanks for sharing the pen and the path you took to completion. Like you I enjoy the trial and error along the way as much as the arrival at the finished product.

GaryMGg

Originally posted by toolcrazy

That is very, very nice. One of these days, I will be able to turn an eagle blank.
Steve, this one's quite a bit different than many of the Eagleized blanks some of us have turned.
This is an Eagle-style blank made by Keith, who used his woodworking talents to figure out how to make it for himself. Making the blank for one's self is a huge accomplishment. In my opinion, it's a Front Page pen! [8D][8D];)

Cheers,
G

alamocdc

Looks like you've got it down, Keith. And I still wish I was that good with my scroll saw. And he is a great teacher for those who take the time to listen.;)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I agree with Gary ! I almost didn't post here . But had to say , what a beautiful piece of artistry this pen is . Thank you for showing this . And thanks for the interesting comments with it . I think of doing something like this often . But , that road looks awfully scary to me right now . Maybe some day ! Thanks Keith ! [:eek:)]

B727phixer

Nice Job Keith! Thanks for the reminder that "its the journey not the destination" that makes us keep turning and striving for a better looking pen![8D]

OKLAHOMAN

I'll also have to echo both Gary and Cav,and as you said so well the journey not the destination was the prize.

Top Bottom