PenWiz squiggle (Mod)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I thought it would be interesting to have the "squiggles" meet, instead of be parallel.

So, here is the prototype. (Some refinement is required)
I believe the guilloche tool operates independant of the gearing. You can adjust the modulation (this was at a middle setting), but frequency is a constant. I could be wrong.

Comments, of course, are welcome.

Attachments

• PWsquiggle2.jpg
    PWsquiggle2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 346
  • PWsquiggle.JPG
    PWsquiggle.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

That's pretty cool lookin' Ed. Is that machine difficult to use? Can you eliminate the little tail marks that are stiking out?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Horace (and others),

That depends!

The wiz makes lines around the pen. Intrinsically, that's ALL it does. I will, soon, be offering the blanks on Dawn's site. PRECUT to different patterns, but using the sierra as the basis. I will also be taking special orders. Right now, I am developing a catalog of possible patterns using all my own pictures and practice. So, if you want a half dozen pens like this, it will be more cost effective to have ME make them.

I have taken finished pens to shows. They have not sold, yet. BUT, I offer hundreds of choices of pens. The PenWiz pens could have gotten "Lost in the crowd". COULD they sell, if I made a special effort?? Don't know. Probably. It's different. At what price level? Don't know. (I was at $50, same as my other sierras).

So, I suggest you CAN buy the Wiz and do everything on it. Probably sell 25-30 pens and come out ahead. That's the way I have analyzed it, anyhow. YMMV!!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Steve,

Yes, the tailmarks are a function of "operator error".

IF you adjust the start and stop points with the "lock nuts" that are designed for that purpose, you can make these points hit each other, dead on. THIS pen, I was playing with the squiggle, so I did NOT pay attention. MY ERROR!!! NOT a machine flaw.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Not bad, but if you could angle the squiggles, you would have a nice X-mas tree. And yes, I do accept commissions for ideas.

Jerryconn

Ed, If I am not mistaken you can adjust frequency with the gear sets, at least that is what I remember from the instructional DVD anyway.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nope

Ed, If I am not mistaken you can adjust frequency with the gear sets, at least that is what I remember from the instructional DVD anyway.

Jerry,

I tried everything I could think of last night, the "primary" gear drives the guilloche parts and the primary HAS to be 60T to mesh with the reversing gears. IF you can see something I overlooked, I'd be REAL interested.

Thanks!!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Jerry,

I tried everything I could think of last night, the "primary" gear drives the guilloche parts and the primary HAS to be 60T to mesh with the reversing gears. IF you can see something I overlooked, I'd be REAL interested.

Thanks!!!
Ed, you have to move the screw that is in the arm for the guilloche attachment and it will change the size. There is a way to change the frequency, but I will have to check the machine when I get back to the shop. I am pretty sure that the DVD had the instructions for that also.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Neil,

The screw in the guilloche arm WILL change the amplitude (height of peaks), but there is no way that I can see to adjust the frequency (length of the troughs).

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Neil,

The screw in the guilloche arm WILL change the amplitude (height of peaks), but there is no way that I can see to adjust the frequency (length of the troughs).
Ed,
It is just a matter of changing the speed of the guilloche. If you change the drive gears for it, it should change the distance of the peaks. The gears that came in the bag will work for this. I will play with it after work tomorrow and send you a PM about it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Roger,

Both names work. One of the first people Dawn asked to look at her site misspelled it. When he reported his difficulty, we started thinking about other ways we could make this "interesting". So, the "eroticblanks" was born.

I have a LARGE order, just being finalized in Europe. IF you know of anything you have seen on their sites that you would like to have, PM me QUICK!! Tomorrow will be too late!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That is what I was attempting to do, for one project!!

So, what did you change???? Please!

Quicker way: send me a pic of the gears, when you made that second wave, please????

Top Bottom