Pentarsia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
This is not your average inlay so I decided to use a new word to descibe it.
Pentarsia.
The name of the pen is
One for giving.
This started out as a test piece for another one I am making.
It passed all the tests.
There is a long story behind this pen, one which I will not bore you with.
Let me suffice to say I learned a lot in making this one.
TG baron, Deft spray laquer finish
The woods are Walnut, cherry and mahogany
The veneers are all cut and dyed by me.
There was no tutorial available as to how to do this so I winged it.:D
edit in,
(From inception to completion which included my wife's design work took 6 weeks)

I finished it too late for Johnny's contest(on purpose).)It was finished on or about 10/17.
It will be donated to the auction.
ue to the offensive nature of this picture(Crucifix in window I have removed it)

Edit in and mea culpa
My wifes design was integral to much of the complexity of the inlay.I told her what I wanted to inlude but asked her not to be concerned what could or could not be done in regards to size or physical danger(I don't take chances with body parts)Had I seen what was involved before I started it I may not have set out to do it.
Each step created yet another problem or technique that needed to be solved or mastered.
Tutorials do nothing but inhibit imagination.

200511513251_One%20for%20giving%20004.jpg

woodscavenger

I am sitting here looking at this and am absolutely speechless. What a fantastic job! My only comment would be that I think the sharp angles of the pen would lend itself very nicely to an Emporer. BTW that comment in no way detracts from that pen. I think you need to add a music link in the background of this page with a choir singing.

coach

Wow Eagle! This pen must be why you have not posted anything lately. This one is simply amazing! You really out did yourself this time! The detail is unbelieveable. I keep seeing different aspects each time I look. I do like how the cross is interwoven. I assume the rest of the pen is bricks? Great idea and execution. How long did this one take? Did you do all of this in one try?

Woodnknots

Holy @#$@!! I don't know what else to say... I am soooo going to try some inlay and laminating when I have some time to do projects that aren't mandated by other people...

p.s. sorry for the profanity, I'll try to tone it down from now on, but only if Eagle promises not to just SPRING these things on us anymore, but gives us some sort of advanced warning!!

Woodnknots

BTW, Eagle, I know how you feel about tutorials, etc... and I think I agree with you, discovery is a better teacher... But could you please post a photo of a blank sometime before you turn it just so those of us that might need help thinking outside the box could get a tiny push?
Thanks,
Dave

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eagle,

The word masterpiece is, and will continue to be, overused. It applies here, and perhaps is inadequate. Just curious, did one of your forebears cut an ear off?

Truly an awesome masterpiece.

Ron Mc

Absolutely amazing. You pens continue to amaze and inspire me. Thanks for sharing!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Eagle,

The word masterpiece is, and will continue to be, overused. It applies here, and perhaps is inadequate. Just curious, did one of your forebears cut an ear off?
Truly an awesome masterpiece.

I had an uncle who grew corn but he didn't cut the ears off with a knife he just sort of snapped them off by hand when they were ready.[^]

rtjw

Eagle, I dont know which one of us had more fun with this pen. I am glad you decided to post it. I have made me a great friend, the auction alot of money and me a pen also, or should I say two pens also[;)].

ashaw

Eagle

Wonderful piece of Art. Your inlays are truely amazing. Now this is a $500.00 + pen.[:D].. I cannot wait to see the next pen...
Good work

Alan

btboone

Very nice work. The color and detail of the stained glass windows make it a special one. It should certainly do well at the auction.

Dario

Eagles,

I can't say anything that is not said yet...I agree with everyone, you've outdone yourself yet another time. I am sure this will rake in a lot of money for the hospital/kids.

Now, if only they can come up with the "POPE" version of the Emperor kit [:D].

Intarisa - Pentarisa, who cares!

This is one of the best, if not the very best example, I have ever seen.

Most Excellant! I tip my hat to you sir!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Intarisa - Pentarisa, who cares!

This is one of the best, if not the very best example, I have ever seen.

Most Excellant! I tip my hat to you sir!

Thanks Ron.
I have not seen anything like this style done which is why I chosed the term "pentarsia"(it sounded better than pencatry which is closley related)[:D]
I don't like searching for ideas from other's peoples work.
If an idea I come up with has been done before I would like to think I made the"discovery" on my own.
If you know of any all wood inlays done in a similar style I would appreciate the links.
I still like the term Pentarsia, I wouldn't even attempt intarsia,I have no isda of what I am doing on the scroll saw.

btboone

Eagle, with your vacuum saw fence how thin can you normally make veneer material. The stuff I got at WoodCraft is .020" and seems to work well for my spirals. It's very consistant and is flexible if I soak it. I'll need to either find some or make some in Olivewood.

alamocdc

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0] Eagle, anything I might say would be meaningless compared to the design, craftsmanship and beauty of this magnificent work of art.[^][^][^]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0] Eagle, anything I might say would be meaningless compared to the design, craftsmanship and beauty of this magnificent work of art.[^][^][^]
Go ahead and try.
Even with the flaws I feel good about this one,
(he said smugly and selfrighteously)[:D]

Fearless

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]
[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!

Fangar

Eagle,

I too am glad you posted this one. It is very much something that will no doubt inspire others, which is what this forum is all about. I've seen the blank for this one folks and let me tell you that looking at it made me a little squirmish. I could see me going into the fetal positon (In my turning skirt of course) on my cold concrete garage floor when I blew it into 6,457 pieces with my chisel. I definately can't hold my breath for 6 weeks either.

Wondeful artwork by your wife too.

Fangar

JimGo

Eagle, this is, without a doubt, the most beautiful pen you've made (in my ever-so-humble opinion). Absolutely amazing.

melogic

It does me proud to be able to say I share in the same forum as the original Pentarsia creator. Words cannot describe this one Eagle. Thank you for sharing pictures on this one and thank the misses for all she does as well. Awesome, awesome job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom