Pens tonight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

I got a few more put together tonight. The sierra I posted yesterday, but it was a crummy pic.

The slimlines are bocote scraps and black walnut. Unfortunately, I got the flare a bit off on the clip side of the black walnut. It is a bit undersized.

The cigar is a couple pieces of wenge that I was practicing on. I just wanted to try some shapes, so the top and bottom don't match. I also wanted to see how a filled finish looked compared to an unfilled. I can see people liking either.

The sierra is a copper resin that I got from Exotic Blanks. The pictures don't do the depth and color justice. I think I like sierra pens. I was skeptical at first, but figured it couldn't hurt to try. It feels a bit top heavy to me when it comes to writing, but I like the shape and how they go together.

Finally, my little helper is sanding with me. He loves to sand and hammer.

Attachments

• bocote_walnut.jpg
    bocote_walnut.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 156
  • wenge.jpg
    wenge.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 173
  • copper_resin.JPG
    copper_resin.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 147
  • helper.jpg
    helper.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

very nice pens, are you teaching future pen turners in the last picture?

He doesn't turn yet. We are actually making a toy dinosaur in that picture. We have this deal where I hold the sanding block and he rubs the wood back and forth on it.

It is very slow going, as he likes to check his work often, but it is a good time. I did lose one pen to his "enthusiastic" hammering. I didn't see that he had a hammer and he smashed a pen I had just assembled and left sitting on the table next to him.

Usually he just picks the pens up and tries to draw with them.

crabcreekind

very nice pens, are you teaching future pen turners in the last picture?

He doesn't turn yet. We are actually making a toy dinosaur in that picture. We have this deal where I hold the sanding block and he rubs the wood back and forth on it.

It is very slow going, as he likes to check his work often, but it is a good time. I did lose one pen to his "enthusiastic" hammering. I didn't see that he had a hammer and he smashed a pen I had just assembled and left sitting on the table next to him.

Usually he just picks the pens up and tries to draw with them.

Hopefully the pen wasnt a very expensive blank or kit.

Fibonacci

It was a purpleheart/maple segmented slimline I had made for my wife. She was amused, at least. Now I am waiting for the replacement to turn purple so I can put a finish on it.

Top Bottom