Pens from today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from swm6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm6500

First is a credit card pen in holly with roses.
Second is a teachers pen, rosewood, zebrawood and padauk.
Third is Dakota burl (sunflower seeds)

20055215035_creditcardpen.jpg

20055215053_teacherspen.jpg

2005521519_dakotaburl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimr

Sam, do I remember correct, the flowers are some kind of decal or something? Where do you get them that small? I assume you glue them on then apply CA or some kind of top coat. I would like to find out a bit about your process, it looks like something I would like to try.

swm6500

Originally posted by jimr
<br />Sam, do I remember correct, the flowers are some kind of decal or something? Where do you get them that small? I assume you glue them on then apply CA or some kind of top coat. I would like to find out a bit about your process, it looks like something I would like to try.
Jim, this one is from a rub-on I got at Jo-Anns fabrics. Here is a link to the manufacturer, look at the one called elegant roses. http://duncancrafts.com/products/line.asp?ID=231&SID=2 I also use a decal I get at Walmart that is a decal of Donna Dewberry's. It is made by FolkArt I think. After all preparation sanding, I apply the decal or rub-on. I then put a couple of coats of CA on the pen. Then sand and check frequently that you are not sanding into the decal. After sanding fairly smooth using 400 grit, I then add two more coats of CA. Sand it smooth and them MM to 12000 and put a coat or Renaissance Wax on it.

low_48

I agree with darbytee, that is the best teacher's pen I've ever seen. Good choice of material! I really like the Dakota burl as well, but it sure can be a stinker to turn. Great work!!

Rich

rtgleck

That Dakota burl almost looks like a mis-mash of materials in it but it looks really neat. You did an excellent job on the Teachers pen, turned out very well, and the Holly with the decals makes a great looking pen. Nice work on all of them.

MDWine

Well done, Sam! Now, tell me more abut the SUNFLOWER SEEDS???[:0]
What kit did you do on the flower pen?
Do you sell many of the teacher's pens?

am I asking too many questions????[:p]

TIA

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sam,

How long have you been doing the flower appliques (sp?)? Is there enough track history to know how they wear in normal use? Last, do you mind if I imitate the idea in Chicago area?

Thanks-in case you haven't guessed, I REALLY like that pen.

swm6500

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />Well done, Sam! Now, tell me more abut the SUNFLOWER SEEDS???[:0]
What kit did you do on the flower pen?
Do you sell many of the teacher's pens?

am I asking too many questions????[:p]

TIA
Michael,
I got the Dakota burl from Ryan at Woodturningz I believe.
The flower pen is done with the credit card pen kit from PSI, it is only about 3 1/2" long.
That is the first teacher's pen I have done, so cannot give any info about sales.
Never too many questions.

swm6500

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Sam,

How long have you been doing the flower appliques (sp?)? Is there enough track history to know how they wear in normal use? Last, do you mind if I imitate the idea in Chicago area?

Thanks-in case you haven't guessed, I REALLY like that pen.

Ed, I have only been doing the flower pens for a couple of weeks. I do not think that wear will be a problem with the CA finish over the top of the decal or rub-on. Please feel free to make the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom