Pens for review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikeinco

mikeinco

I started turning about 3 months ago and have become addicted to it. Here are some pics of my work. Critique ad lib, the 1st pic is the 1st Inlace I've done, I blew up the first blank but learned a lot, so this technically the 1st completed Inlace. The others are all wood.

Attachments

• pen(s) 088.jpg
    pen(s) 088.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 330
  • pen(s) 039.jpg
    pen(s) 039.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 383
  • pen(s) 043.jpg
    pen(s) 043.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 264
  • pen(s) 063.jpg
    pen(s) 063.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 285
  • pen(s) 050.jpg
    pen(s) 050.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 298
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
In the first picture of the Inlace it looks like radial scratches starting about 1/8th off the end of the blank from the center and some here and there up to the start of the clip
In the third picture (043), The single pen two tone kit, the top is definitely underturned by the clip and by the centerband on the lower tube. Your fourth picture (063) looks underturned at the lower finial/cap but that may just be the way the picture makes it look. It also looks like you may have a small issue with Out of Round on a couple of them. The picture angle may be affecting the way it looks. If your underturning your pens leave them a little proun of the bushings and round them at the end with sandpaper. Its better to have that rounded end then to feel the sharp edge of the hardware.

mikeinco

Mike, thanks for the critique, I'll have to try and clean up the Inlace by hand since I can't put it back on the lathe, not real sure how to do this other than some very careful sanding and polishing.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Depending on the kit you may be able to tap the cap back out of the tube. That will make it possible. Im not sure you can resand it without doing more damage than you start with otherwise. If you dont have digital calipers they will help. Harbor Freight has a set that is on sale a lot for around $10.00 or so. Good luck and keep trying everyone goes through this.

plano_harry

Mike, I agree with all of Mr. Redburn's comments. The wood pens look good and with a few layers of CA finish, the overturning would disappear, leaving a perfect result. Don't try to improve the pens unless you can take them apart as he suggested with the punches. Gentle taps work better than a bigger hammer. Disassembly is a skill we have all had to master and it builds your confidence. I think there are some articles in the library on general disassembly techniques. If you are confused on a particular style, try a search and If you don't find the answer, post a question.

To get a beautiful finish on plastic or wood, stop the lathe after each grit and sand longways. This takes out the rotary scratches and levels the surface from end to end, removing any ridges from turning. All the next grit has to do is remove the previous longways scratches, so it doesn't take much sanding to do that - then follow with the lathe off sanding at that grit - repeat. Your final step with 12,000 micromesh will leave almost microscopic scratches longways on the pen. Visually, if there is any light scatter, it will be in parallel with natural reflections and the shine lines on the pen and add to the effect of a perfect finish.

mikeinco

Thanks for all the tips. The Inlace pen is the Mesa and once the end cap is pressed, the only part that will come off is the very tip of the cap. I may, may try using my Dremel with a buffing pad and some jeweler's rouge to see what I can do. I haven't yet tried using a CA finish, it doesn't really appeal to me, but is probably a skill I should develop.

mikeinco

I use the Doctors Pen Finish stuff and love the way it makes the wood appear, I also use his walnut oil during sanding which I think adds to the final product.

solobiker

I am fairly new at this too and have become addicted as well. They look great to me. Thanks for sharing.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Good looking group of pens. Take on all tips and your well on your way to turning a masterpiece in no time. I'll add Wood Turners Finish (WTF) to the list of finishes it easy to use and gives a great finish.

Top Bottom