Pens from New Castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dachshund1

dachshund1

For some time, I've been experimenting with casting my own blanks using Chiyogami and other decorative papers. After considerable trial-and-error - and a couple of gallons of Liquid Diamonds (mea culpa: on several occasions, I began production prematurely before having my process entirely refined) - I was able to finally produce something I'm not too embarrassed to share. My thanks to those IAP members who've generously shared their expertise. A lot of inspiration, knowledge, and technique was gleaned from folks on this board.

Attachments

• Casting2.jpg
    Casting2.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is a beautiful set Terry.

I admire each, but will state a preference for the second from the left. I love segmenting, and this is a design that I see as a great pattern. YES, IAP has much to offer for assisting folks to refine their interests.

Keep at it, and thanks for sharing.

Every one of them looks great. I think Mark and I share the same taste in pens, the second from the left immediately caught my attention, probably because I like symmetrical designs. Well done on the entire group.

dachshund1

How did you conquer the seam issue? Overlap and double cut or what?

I'm far from an expert on this, but it depends on the pattern. Overlapping and avoiding straight line cuts seems to be the one universal. However, while I'd like the think the seams on all my blanks are inconspicuous, they're not all completely invisible. I've found some patterns/papers simply don't work well for hiding an edge - while others are too transparent and show the underlying layer when overlapped. I read the article on Marla (Mills) Christensen's technique in the August (2017) issue of American Woodworker. Following her technique and carefully (and painstakingly) trimming around the "random" outline of a pattern probably works best for truly hiding a seam - pattern permitting. Whatever you do, expect much experimentation. Hope this helps. Terry

Top Bottom