Pens For Hope pen #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

315618_216435705083169_100001502242963_575454_2080151157_n.jpg

Made this one out of Corian. Had some issues centering my drill press as expected, and as such decided to go regular bushing to bushing Slimline. I think I may be better off using a different process on Corian. I also really like this particular style of Slimline.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Pretty sweet looking. Have you thought of a dedicated drill chuck for your lathe? I wasted about $200 worth of blanks due to wandering bits before I opted to buy the pen blank chuck for the lathe and it's dead center every time now.

Drstrangefart

Pretty sweet looking. Have you thought of a dedicated drill chuck for your lathe? I wasted about $200 worth of blanks due to wandering bits before I opted to buy the pen blank chuck for the lathe and it's dead center every time now.

Yeah, I need one. A lack of free floating cash means I either wait until more money comes in, or until someone upgrades. It's okay, I only have trouble on REALLY narrow blanks. The drill chuck is in the plans for some point in the future.

keithlong

I drill all my blanks on the lathe. I drill them the same way that I drill my antler blanks. On the 1/2 inch square corian, I mark the centers on both ends then I make a small dimple with a center punch to start my bit in. I hold the blanks with a pair of vice grips and using the live center in the dimple on one end push the blank into the drill bit, drilling slow, I drill about half way through then swap ends and do the same thing, this way the bit does not wander off and it is very easy to do.

Top Bottom