Pens and Experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

Finally got to finish and assemble a few, thanks for taking a look and feel free to comment. Any suggestions for improving my photo taking is also appreciated.

200651173124_0027SierraPlatPRBlueGreenCropScale.jpg

Sierra, with homebrew PR, the PR became a bit more translucent than I expected, some of the black paint I used to paint the blanks is showing through but not enough to really detract from the overall look.

200651173311_0031CigarSatingGoldPRKoaCropScale.jpg

Experiment #1: Multicolored PR Cigar with Koa separating the colors. Note to self, don't free hand the angle cuts, use a jig, and don't forget to seal the wood, too much TSW in the grain.

20065117351_0032AmericanFTClickCherryCropScale.jpg

I know many here don't like the click mechanism of this style pen. Add me to that list. Took forever to get the top barrel to smoothly slide over the other, and even so, I'm still getting scratches in the finish. :( I'll stick with the twist mechanism. Oh, the wood is cherry.

649_0033BaronSatinNickleCurlyMapleColoredCropScale.jpg

Second expermiment, my Starless Strips pen. Used Prismacolor markers for the blue and red, couldn't fine one for the white, so I used a paint marker. The red looked great, until I started to apply the lacquer. That caused the red to bleed, need to let it dry longer next time. I also seem to have some cracks in the white paint at the end of the barrel. Not sure yet if it goes through the wood, or just the paint.

Thanks for looking!
Cheers,
Draken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Neat pens all around! For the stars and stripes, you might try:
1) a light colored wood next time that you won't have to dye;
2) a casting of some red and white stripes glued around a barrel;
3) some white Corian, to which you apply the red marker, or some red Corian, to which you apply the white paint marker.

Are you free this coming weekend for a little show-and-tell?

gerryr

I like to see people experimenting. It's always interesting to see what they come up with. I think the cigar is the most interesting of the batch.

Draken

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Neat pens all around! For the stars and stripes, you might try:
1) a light colored wood next time that you won't have to dye;
2) a casting of some red and white stripes glued around a barrel;
3) some white Corian, to which you apply the red marker, or some red Corian, to which you apply the white paint marker.

Are you free this coming weekend for a little show-and-tell?

I used Curly Maple, which is fairly light, but I wanted a true white, which is why I went with the paint pen. This is to hold me over until I get the supplies needed to cast some PR in red, white, and blue swirls. Also some folks have asked me about coloring a pen a certain color, so this is my demonstrator, and lets me get in three colors and a theme no less.

Gerryr, I like the cigar as well, but my wife hates it. I wanted to give it to my daughter for her birthday, and the wife ruled that out real quick. She feels it would be better without the wood, where I like the union of the two materials.

I'll have to check with the wife about weekend plans Jim, and get back to you.

Cheers,
Draken

Ron Mc

Draken,
I like the cigar pen as well. It sounds to me like your neighbor needs to give your daughter a pen for her B-Day![;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom