Pens with Display Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dominic Greco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic Greco

Hi everyone,
I had to whip up a quick display stand for some pens I'm submitting to a near by gallery. So I went into the shop yesterday afternoon with a plan in mind. Then I turned around and designed this baby on the fly! It took me about 1 1/2 hours to complete (from design to fabrication).

At first, I was going to make a "lazy susan" style stand as shown in an article by Ed Davidson in last month's "Woodturning Design". But I changed my mind after looking at the available wood I had. The pieces of Ambrosia Maple were just begging to be put to use for this project.

I also wanted to be able to have all of the pens shown off without the customer having to turn the stand. I liked the "boomerang" design I saw somewhere (Again, I think Ed Davidson made one like it) and decided to pattern mine after it.

The entire stand is made from 1/2" thick Ambrosia Maple. It can hold (13) pens, and stands about 4" high x 11" wide.

The stand was sanded to 320 grit and then given several coats of Watco's Natural Danish Oil. After the finish cured, the stand was buffed with a Beall Buffing System.

Image Insert:
200411282852_pen_display2a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

A perfect bakers dozen Dom [:D] I like that type of design where the pens go thru the holes. Keeps them all from toppling over from Mr. clumsy fingers. Good job.[:)]

Dominic Greco

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />Great looking display Dominic! I think I could make a career "borrowing" Ed's great ideas and designs.

Thanks! He does have some great ideas, doesn't he?[:)]

I like the design so much, I'm going to make one for my bottle stoppers as well.

See ya around,
Dominic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom