The Pens That Didn't Make It

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

Sunday I got word that my latest shark vertebra pen made the front page. Checking it out, I noticed the Summer Extravaganza was in play and the deadline was midnight. I went into hyperdrive and managed to enter three pens just before midnight (or so I thought). Now, I will admit that none of them represented my best work, but it was a fun challenge to get them done and I always enjoy being in the contests.

To make a long story short, my email submittal to the Slimline contest didn't get sent until I logged into Outlook the next day. No idea why. My email submittal to the Casting contest wound up in Ernie's Spam folder. Since it was a last minute entry I can understand how it got overlooked. Ernie was nice enough to offer me a consolation prize.

Here are my entries. I cast the "Hell's Fire" blank on the Slimline using PR. The other Slimline is Ebony and dyed, spalted, quilted maple blank. I used red and black Alumilite dye in Cactus Juice. By the way, I use a brake bleeder pump and a mason jar to stabilize and dye my blanks. I've only just started experimenting with the process and it works reasonably well. I did drill a 1/4" hole in the pen blank to help get dye into the interior of the blank. Thanks for looking at the blanks!

Attachments

• Slimline & Hell's Fire 3F+ (1569 x 3726).jpg
    Slimline & Hell's Fire 3F+ (1569 x 3726).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Slimline & Hell's Fire 9F+ (3075 x 1607).jpg
    Slimline & Hell's Fire 9F+ (3075 x 1607).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Slimline & Dyed Spalted Quilted Maple 1F+ (3608 x 1513).jpg
    Slimline & Dyed Spalted Quilted Maple 1F+ (3608 x 1513).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Comfort Pen & Dyed Spalted Quilted Maple 5F+ (3599 x 1289).jpg
    Comfort Pen & Dyed Spalted Quilted Maple 5F+ (3599 x 1289).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Slimline & Dyed Spalted Quilted Maple 3F+ (3571 x 1513).jpg
    Slimline & Dyed Spalted Quilted Maple 3F+ (3571 x 1513).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 204

Talltim

You are one of the only people I know that has made Hell's fire look good. [emoji846]

Nice job on both pens. Sorry they didn't make it into the contests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom