Pens from the cut-off pile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Efletche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Efletche

Went to visit a woodshop here that recently moved into larger questers. The owner had a couple large piles of cutt-offs; one was walnut and the other was brazilian Cherry and Australian Cypress. Many of the walnut boards had crotch designs in them. I loaded my car, made a couple, and went back a couple days later. I gave the owner a cigar pen pen from the walnut croch that was just incrdible. In return, he filled my car with more walnut, Brazillian Cherry, Quilted Maple, Curley Maple, Curley Hickory, Spalted Hickory, and Zebrawood.He also cut up a log for me that is heavily spalted throughout. It's so light and delicate, I'm going to have to get the blanks stabilized before I do anything, otherwise they will turn to dust.Attached is a couple pens I made from the figured walnut. I have enough regular walnut and Brazillian Cherry here if anyone wants to do some trading. Once I start cutting up the Australian Cypress, I'll put some of it up for trade as well.

200411418344_DSC00297.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Nice pens, and congrats on the haul! The figure is great.

I have a barrel full of pieces from a cabinet shop. Cost: 4 pens. There are a couple pieces of purpleheart in that lot.

Today I traded a 4' log of wild cherry, and a piece of cedar, for two pens. The guy has a small sawmill. Oh, and a small log of black walnut too...

Efletche

I was informed yesterday by my mother that our Amish friend up north have some wood for me. I gave the husband of their saw mill a corn cob pen in September. From what I understand, he has several walnut trunks (at the crotch), cherry (again crotch) and a large pile of antler, as well as bull and ram, and goat horns for me to play with. Looks like I'm going to need a trailer hitch.

wayneis

Edward, and anyone else interested in stabilization, I sent 35 blanks to Steve White at River Ridge Products to get stabilized. He only charged a buck a blank and they turned out good. I've turned several so far and have been pretty happy. Some that I sent were spalted, like maple, tamarin and a couple others and they all came out nice. I turned a spalted maple pen light was just blown away, I'll post a photo but I had no idea it would be so nice. No I'm not connected with Steve, just a happy customer. Oh, I also noticed that he has an introductory offer. you can go to www.rrpwhite.com he also has some good ideas and tips for drilling and turning both dymondwood and his acryliwood blanks.

Wayne

Efletche

Thanks for the note Wayne. I have half a tree trunk of spalted something that needs stabilized. I'll check out his web site. How long did it take to get your blanks back and were able to turn them that day?

PenWorks

That seams like a good price. The finishing process is so much easier and they come out some much better on a stabalized blank,I do have a bunch of spalt & tamarin. I think I'll give him a try. Thanks, Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom