pens in the box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emtmike

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

I am still new to this but I have sold a few pens. I have been giving costumers a cheep cloth type pouch with the pens. I have not been to any shows yet but I think pens would look good if displayed in a wood pen box but I am not sure what kind of box to use or where to get them. I wonder ho it looks if the pen and box are not made of the same wood. Please if you have some pics to post and advice as to where to get boxes it would be very helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

I bought some cheap cardboard boxes in bulk I give away when I sell the pens, and stamp my name, phone #, etc. inside the lid. Occasionally someone will want a nicer box and I offer them the ones that CSUSA sells for about what they cost me. I tell them up front that I didn't make it but I will sell them for cost. One time I thought I could make custom wood boxes cheaper than buying them, boy was I wrong!

In answer to your question I don't think it matters if the box and pen match as long as they don't really clash with each other. In other words a maple pen in a walnut box is fine, but since maple comes in such a variety of shades it is hard to put a maple pen in a maple box that is just made from different piece of wood.

challagan

I agree with Ray. I just can't make a box cheaper than what the pen suppliers get for them. By the time you buy stock, router bits and hinges and then finish them... it just doesn't add up. I give either the option of a cardboard pen box, a leatherette pen case or a pen box and what I charge depends on what I had to pay for them. Most wooden boxes I give for cost. I really like the soft leatherette cases as they give some protection and are very soft and doing scratch up the finish. The Berea plastic boxes are a nice deal as well.

Corey

mrcook4570

I use something similar to what Ray is describing. I've found that most customers that are giving the pens as gifts just want some sort of box for gift wrapping. Once in a while, someone insists upon having a wooden box, so I generally keep a few maple, walnut, and rosewood boxes an hand. I always caution them against carrying the pen in the wooden box.

As for displaing at shows, my preference is clear acrylic pen stands that allow the pen to sit vertically. I feel that this shows off the pens better.

Gary Max

I just picked up a bunch of Rosewood boxes from Woodturningz.
I price the box at $10.00 let them have it for $5.00 with any pen they buy. And it still cost me less than $3.00. Heck if they buy a real nice pen I might just give them a box to help make the sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom