pens 4 & 5, and pencil #1 (by accident)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from betwisted

betwisted

I had to wait all week to get down to Woodworkers Emporium (the only local supply place here in Vegas for pen turning stuff I've seen so far) to pick up some more pen kits so I could practice some. Attached are the results.

#4 is a PSI slimline 24kt kit with a stabilized olivewood blank that came in my starter kit. As an experiment I finished that pen using the MM system to 12000, then 5 coats of a Wipe-On Poly (satin), then Wet MM from 4000 to 12000 again (the next morning), meguires scratch remover and wax. I hoped to pull more shine out of the finish even though it was satin, but that didn't work (lesson learned).

#5 is another PSI slimline 24kt with a bloodwood blank (also from starter kit). I wasn't overly excited about the bloodwood, as looking at the outside of the blank it was bland and uniform looking. I got it turned down and sanded to 600 then followed up with MM to 12000. I was surprised and delighted when i got it smoothed out and noticed a "glow" coming from the light reflecting off the barrel. The bloodwood was a burnt cinder-ish color with a yellow-to-orange luminescence that kept captivating my attention and made me change my mind about bloodwood. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't show what I experienced.

I finished #5 with the CA/BLO finish. I work out of my garage and it's probably 55 - 60 degrees in there so I used Thin CA applied 8 or 9 coats with the BLO. It's the first time I've used this process and it worked out really well for me (my first CA only finish was not good). Wet MM from 4000 to 12000, scratch remover and wax. The barrel ends aren't perfect, but I hope when my eliminator II bushings get here it'll help solve that issue.

#6 is Pencil #1. I picked up a blue box elder and PSI slimline Rhodium kit to make a "show" pen for around work (I only have the slimline bushings so far). I didn't pay close enough attention to the label though and ended up getting a "show" pen-cil instead .:bulgy-eyes: S'okay...it'll still work. Anyway, turned the barrels, lightly sanded 320 - 600, Wet MM to 12000. There were "very" small pits in the barrel though when all was said and done so I used 5 coats of the thin CA/Blo finish, Wet MM from 4000 to 12000, scratch remover and wax and voila!

Well, anyway, thanks for takin your time to check out my post. I hope i didn't bore ya to tears, and questions, comments, suggestions are appreciated.

Joe

Attachments

• HTP00004-copy.jpg
    HTP00004-copy.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 162
  • HTP00005 - Copy.jpg
    HTP00005 - Copy.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 145
  • HTP00006 - Copy.jpg
    HTP00006 - Copy.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 171

SDB777

Tip: If your going to use scratch remover(I my case it is PlastixPolish), you don't really need to go thru all the colored MM pads.....first five is usually more then enough.

I'm liking all of these, and to date, I can say you have a 'one-up-on-me'....I have yet to make a pencil! Timbers all finished very well!

Scott (keep them coming) B

plantman

:search: Joe; You make a very interesting point in your discription of your pen, that being, that the photo of your pen ( or anybody's pen ) does not show the qualitys in the wood that come out when you are holding it in your hand and turning it around in the light to catch the rays and grains in that pen. The photos, being your's, mine, or anybody elses, only give us a 2D look at our work. That is the reason why I always take a lite, with a daylite bulb, to any show I have my pens at. That way I can show people the things they are missing if they just look at your work and do not pick it up and look at it in the best possable light. Great work you are doing. Jim S

Top Bottom