Pens 4 & 5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithbyrd

keithbyrd

I am a new turner. These are my 4th &5th pens, 2nd and 3rd cigars. The left is Leopard wood and the right is cocobolo. Comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• pens 015.jpg
    pens 015.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimS

I love cigar pens and you did a great job on these. Thanks for sharing.
Jim

keithbyrd

Mickie,
I have no prior experience with Cocobolo - what would you expect it to do after it has "been in the light" - darken? Lighten? ?

ctubbs

WOW! For # 4 and 5 pen, those are way great. I can hardly wit for your #100. It should be something else. Congratulations on two jobs well done.
Charles

Lenny

Both are VERY NICE! :)

Be careful when turning Cocobolo ... it has a reputation for causing allergic reactions! :eek: It got to me. :frown: One of my favorite woods but I almost never use it now. :mad:

The Leopard wood is very interesting and is now on my list for future purchase! :)

crabcreekind

Be careful when turning Cocobolo ... it has a reputation for causing allergic reactions! :eek: It got to me. :frown: One of my favorite woods but I almost never use it now. :mad:

The Leopard wood is very interesting and is now on my list for future purchase! :)

Great JOb on the pens!!!.

Lenny, leopard wood very grainy... and only has cool stuff on one side, it looks good on big pieces like boxes, but it makes just brown pens. And its not a very good turning wood. Just my 2 cents if that means anything. I have some extra that i odnt even want to use that i could just give to you. If you wanted it?

keithbyrd

Lenny, leopard wood very grainy... and only has cool stuff on one side, it looks good on big pieces like boxes, but it makes just brown pens. And its not a very good turning wood. Just my 2 cents if that means anything. I have some extra that i odnt even want to use that i could just give to you. If you wanted it?

Actually the spots appear on opposite sides and creates a very interesting look. I'm not sure what you mean by "grainy" ..."not very good for turning" - maybe I'm too new at this to know but I thought it turned rather well.

crabcreekind

Actually the spots appear on opposite sides and creates a very interesting look. I'm not sure what you mean by "grainy" ..."not very good for turning" - maybe I'm too new at this to know but I thought it turned rather well.

when i mean grainy, i ment it has like pockets to the grain even when you sand it.. compared to the cocobolo, it was a lot more grain in it.

76winger

Both great looking pens.

I'm curious about what was meant about being out in the light as well. Generally, as I understand it you do don't want to leave any wood pens out in the sunlight as it accelerates fading, graying, and/or discoloration of many woods.

Top Bottom