Pencil Conversion - Majestic Squire Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 65GTMustang

65GTMustang

Many have viewed the thread I posted yesterday asking about the idea of converting a pen style that will not take the Schmidt pencil conversion.
Even if it did you are still left with the issue of not having an eraser to use.
This is a Majestic Squire pen / pencil set - I was able to convert a squire pen into a pencil that does have an available eraser.

I welcome you feedback and comments

I would very much like your opinion about the pencil conversion in regards to the end cap being cumbersome to use the eraser and to advance the lead.

I would also like to point out one other very special feature - I replaced the clear crystals with genuine blue sapphires to match the pens vertically cast blue lines.

Please send you critique and comments
THANKS
Kevin

pen pencil cap off.jpg

Squire pen pencil set 1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

So, do you have to remove the end cap to advance the lead? What size lead does it use? If you have to remove the end cap to advance the lead, I can see that being a deal breaker....depending on the thickness of the lead and how apt it is to break. Removint the cap to access the eraser is not an issue in my mind.

G1Pens

Thanks for the comments

The lead is the typcial .07 size.

Gary - would you have a suggestion on a different way to convert a Squire that will style have an eraser?

Hey...I didn't say I could do it better !! I was just providing feedback like you requested. Heck, I haven't even built a Squire yet. That's why I ask how the lead is advanced in your pen.

What you've done looks great and I am sure took some thought and engineering. I was just saying that for me, needing to remove the cap every time I wanted to advance the lead would not be something I would want to do (if that is how it works).

I will also say a pencil without and erasure is not worth much in my mind. Might as well be writing with a pen. So, what you have is better than no pencil at all or even a pencil without an erasure.

InvisibleMan

This is really cool. I like it. Personally, I like the cap over the top - it looks great. I'd simply uncap while using the pencil, similar to how I use a capped rollerball.

G1Pens

This is really cool. I like it. Personally, I like the cap over the top - it looks great. I'd simply uncap while using the pencil, similar to how I use a capped rollerball.

Man...that just goes to show how you can get your mind on one track and wear blinders on that track....it never crossed my mind to just leave the top off while using it.....DUH !!!:eek:

Okay...so now I have a completely different opinion (of myself and the pen) :)

broitblat

I think the results look great, and I wouldn't have a problem removing the cap to advance the lead (or access the eraser) -- although I'd probably go with a harder lead so I didn't have to do it as frequently.

-Barry

ToddMR

Very nice. I don't see it being too cumbersome at all. I think you did a fine job all around. Really cool how you replaced the stone. Congrats on a good conversion.

Brooks803

Looks great Kevin! Nice photo's too, looks just as good as they did in person. I really like the cyrstal replacement, did you use that trick I told you about to take out the original one? Great engineering to make the pencil conversion work!

65GTMustang

GARY - I was not coming down on you bud - I am just looking for good advice - Just like you gave me....
Thanks

Thanks to everyone sending comments
I am going to look into getting a larger lead pencil version to work next.
That will be tomorrow's project.

BROOKS - I thought you told me not to tell anyone about the secret crystal removal idea...LOL
It is the same idea - The only difference is that I used my rotary carver to take it out and then re-polish the setting - These Sapphires were a little more expensive then the crystals...Lol. I wanted there to be a clean background to help with the appearance of the stones.

I need to take some pictures of today's work - Very busy day....

I have a pretty good display that shows one of Seamus 30-6 Conversion pens - It is an Australian Red Mallee Burl Slab - There are two Deer points to hold the pen and an area that I was able to recess to hold business cards. I will post a picture of that at least a little later - of course I would love your comments on it also.

Thanks again
Kevin

Gin N' Tonic

I welcome you feedback and comments

<snip>

Please send you critique and comments
THANKS
Kevin

Kevin,

I love your design and I look forward to seeing where you take it.

If I can offer some constructive criticism ..... And this is only my opinion....

I'm wondering if you could lengthen the pen to match the length of the pencil?

BTW, Thanks for sharing. You've got me thinking about a new project.

Scott

Top Bottom