Pen for you guys/gals out there...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Wow...a pen for all of us?!?! How are we going to share it? :biggrin:

It's simple. Since many of you seem interested in this simple pen technique, I whipped up this pen this morning and with my camera I photographed the entire event. After I cut the grass I will start editing the photo's, write up the instructions and send the file to Keith. Then you guys can all build your own "replica"! :)

This type of pen can be completely built with a wood lathe. It is however a major major benefit if you have a collet chuck. Although I have a metal lathe and did use the metal lathe for some of the work...it's more because it's faster and I can, rather than a must have machine. I would normally use the metal lathe to spin the nib too, but for you guys I even used a chisel.

Attachments

• finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 420
  • finished2.jpg
    finished2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I hope you guys will be happy with it. It's been quite a while since I posted a tutorial. I forgot how much darn work goes into one. Took me 12 hrs from start to finish...photographing, documenting, editing photo's and writing the tutorial. Then I went into the pdf writer and it wouldn't work, so now the last couple hours I have been re-downloading the cutepdfwriter. Fortunately I did save the file. I'll get her up and out to Keith by tomorrow I hope..and then it's up to him when he gets it posted. It's going to be a big file I bet, and it's pretty detailed.

maxman400

WHAT!!! NO "How it's made Camera Crew" to help out, :rolleyes: just kidding Jeff really looking forward to seeing your work and how it's really made. Great Looking Pen BTW. :biggrin:

jaeger

Jeff,
I went to Barnes and Noble to check out the article of yours in Creative Craft Magazine. Good Job! Now I need to find the Nov 2009 issue with your article regarding casting.
I'm looking forward to this tutorial.

workinforwood

Jeff,
I went to Barnes and Noble to check out the article of yours in Creative Craft Magazine. Good Job! Now I need to find the Nov 2009 issue with your article regarding casting.
I'm looking forward to this tutorial.

You could just go to my website and download that article. It is slightly out of date now, as I have evolved some in my techniques, but it still gets you started in the right direction. I have a couple more newer but now off the shelf articles to post too, just waiting for them to be sent to me.

The article for this pen is now posted in the library by Keith. One thing I also changed on this pen is the acrylic finial twist mechanism. Knowing that most people do not have a metal lathe, and I like to make my twist mechanism with knurled metal, but I don't see how that can be done on a wood lathe too easily. There's lots of options and things you can do with a pen like this.

Top Bottom