Pen and Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ray McLeod

Ray McLeod

As I was going through the woods that I have I came across a 2 x 4 x 4ft piece that was very heavy. I ran it through the saw and made some pieces for pens...This is the picture of the pen and wood..If you know the type of wood please let me know. Ray

Attachments

• pen and wood.jpg
    pen and wood.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 305
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Ray, could be many different woods with a grain like that but my best guess would be some type of tropical mahogany ( santos??)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
looks like mahogany but if it was noticeably heavy I would say it is Sapele. Not red enough or enough open pores for padauk I don't think. you would know padauk as the red/orange dust would be covering everything.

JohnU

resembles brazilian cherry to me but I it might help if you know where it came from. Ive gotten some nice pieces from pallets and crates that were brazilian hardwoods.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
My stab in the dark would be bloodwood. But every monitor shows a little different color, so mine could be overly red.

Nicely done pen!

Ray McLeod

Thanks for the comments...The finished wood is beautiful in color and grain. I have looked up the different woods that you have all mentioned and the closest to what I have in appearance would be Bloodwood or Desert Ironwood. I know that I smoked two drill bits drilling the holes for the pen...I have not cut or turned anything that hard. Ray

Seer

As hard as you said and heavy I have something like that it is Honduran Mahogany but then I have been wrong before, at least according to loml lol

GaryMGg

The black commingled with the red makes me think of either Goncalo Alves (aka Tigerwood) or Brazilian cherry.
Mahoganies are usually not as hard and dense as you describe but both those are.
How did it smell when you turned it? Desert Ironwood has a very earthy aroma, mahoganies are usually sweet smelling.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
hey Gary, I'm with YOU!!!

The smell tells you EVERYTHING!!! Except if you haven't smelled it before----

Yes, Des Ironwood stinks. Bloodwood stinks too. The mahoganies are a nicer smell.

Take it to a craft show and show it as "I'm not real sure, but I think it's ______________. Don't worry, every person looking at it will tell you you are wrong. Then they will each have a definitive answer!!!

If any two of the definitive answers match, that COULD be it. or not.

Ray McLeod

Gary, I did not notice any specific smell. It did turn a lot different than other woods. The pieces that came of when turning were small chips to small granules. It did finish nice. It did not have any voids or open grain when I finished sanding. Ray

Top Bottom