Pen wizard-ed Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

I was playing with the pen wizard yesterday for a customer made these.
The first is spalted Beech on a copper Sierra Vista.
The second one is African Blackwood also on a Vista, hopefully having a thicker body on the vista it won't crack.
And the last one was an attempt to put Holly inside of the Blackwood and then cut through to it thus making a Black and White pen, but this one has a small crack in it.

Attachments

• Spalted beech1.jpg
    Spalted beech1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 397
  • Spalted beech 2.jpg
    Spalted beech 2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 330
  • blackwood 1.jpg
    blackwood 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 432
  • Deep cut 1.jpg
    Deep cut 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 473
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Max; Fantastic work on he pens !! I have a question on the last blank. Would you recast this blank to give it a smooth finish and also keep it from cracking, yet still retain the stripe effect and depth of cut look?? Jim S

maxman400

Max; Fantastic work on he pens !! I have a question on the last blank. Would you recast this blank to give it a smooth finish and also keep it from cracking, yet still retain the stripe effect and depth of cut look?? Jim S
This was a what if blank, and as such I used a straight flat bottom bit. the thought was to maybe cast it in clear with a resin saving mold or back fill it with mica/epoxy. After cutting it the thought of using a round bottom bit or a rope bit might also work. :biggrin:

Hexhead

Rizaydog, I went to your website woodchux and was pleasantly surprised to see someone that was asking a decent price for nice pen's.

There are a lot of people that do this just for a hobby, and they end up giving a lot of pens away are asking a very cheap price. These are nice gestures on their part, but it kind of makes it harder for people that are trying to make a living at it. Others are just sometimes a little shy and about asking a decent price.

If we just sit down and think of all the materials, machinery, electricity, skill, finishes, expendables and other things we have invested we don't see other companies selling their products shy at all about asking some very high prices.

And I told me a long time ago, people always like to show off and brag how much something cost to impress their friends. He also said if somebody really want something bad enough price is no barrier.
Case in point the wizard. More than I wanted to spend, but I saw it as an investment that would have returns so I bought it. But the key is… I wanted it!

Case in point… I had a Venter come to my house the other day he saw my pens and asked how much, I said will choose one and I'll tell you. Didn't take him long to find the one he really wanted. It was a laminated slimline, I told him $60, he said while wood to take $35, I said sorry, but no, he went up to $45 to condense the story he paid the 60 then he said I really wanted to pen, I just thought maybe I could break you down.

When we design a new pen from her own thoughts it's a one-of-a-kind. We invented it! To market a new invention it usually costs thousands of dollars, this is an area where we can invent something brand-new perhaps found nowhere else at a very reasonable price. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom