pen wiz vs. legacy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jackrichington

J

jackrichington

For those of you who have debated the merits of one vs. the other...can you tell which is which?

Attachments

• DSCN0321.jpg
    DSCN0321.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 377
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

You guys are sharper than tacks, that's for sure...I have yet to get the rope bit from JRB at Beall tools..so that will give everyone a clue...I have doubts about a 1/8 inch shank bit of that type..the legacy bit hogs off a great amt. in each pass, and of course one can use 1/4 or 1/2 shanks...so I would guess (not having used one, remember) that it might be a tad delicate...time will tell I thought I would post the picture as so many people had questions..so far I can see the following 1. a router screams..the dremel is WAYYYY quieter...2. the pen wiz can do the guilloche, legacy can't..3 .pen wiz is less than 1/2 the cost..If all you will make is pens & small items, I doubt the pen wiz will dissapoint If you want to do items like canes, the legacy is a must, or you can do it by hand, obviously . 4. the legacy will make a deeper rope than I suspect the little 1/8 rope bit will make (that's a guess)

sbell111

You guys are sharper than tacks, that's for sure...I have yet to get the rope bit from JRB at Beall tools..so that will give everyone a clue...I have doubts about a 1/8 inch shank bit of that type..the legacy bit hogs off a great amt. in each pass, and of course one can use 1/4 or 1/2 shanks...so I would guess (not having used one, remember) that it might be a tad delicate...time will tell I thought I would post the picture as so many people had questions..so far I can see the following 1. a router screams..the dremel is WAYYYY quieter...2. the pen wiz can do the guilloche, legacy can't..3 .pen wiz is less than 1/2 the cost..If all you will make is pens & small items, I doubt the pen wiz will dissapoint If you want to do items like canes, the legacy is a must, or you can do it by hand, obviously . 4. the legacy will make a deeper rope than I suspect the little 1/8 rope bit will make (that's a guess)
Can't you use the Legacy bit in a PW if you use a foredom instead of a dremel?

BTW, I'm also guessing Legacy on the left.

J

jackrichington

OK thanks for the fun & guessing..the PW is on left..a straight carbide on a spiral...the one on right was the legacy with a rope bit...The idea of the post was to help folks who might want to know the LOOKS one could get..which would be best for that person..hope this helped anyone who is trying to decide.

J

jackrichington

rope bit

yes to the 1/4 rope bit in a hand unit...just realize that the power of a hand unit vs. a router..might need to take lesser bites

rej19

Jack, What size was the straight carbide? Was the cut made in a single pass with a dremel? Still learning on my PW for sure.

Harley2001

I use the 1/2 rope bit on the Foredom rotary on the PW and it works great.Iam not sure about useing a 1/8 on doing a rope.Have to get one and try it out.

J

jackrichington

REJ: it was the 1/8 from JRB...DO NOT USE ON TOP...use down the side..get the pen ALMOST to size then make sure you are going in right direction with the bit spin....you can make spirals at any ratio

rej19

Jack, Thanks for the info. That is similar then to how JRB demos the PW to make the flat sided blanks. But in your case in the spiral mode,

Top Bottom