The Pen is White...The Pen is Black

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I've been wanting to do this set for a while. I wanted to do both in Corian but I couldn't find any black the right size. Fred (Ptownsubbie) sent me some black alumilite blanks that I was planning on using. I cracked the first one while turning it, the second one I used two short tube and didn't realize it until I had both tubes turned. The third came out nice but I cracked the lower tube when I was pressing in the nib section. I was about to give up when I remembered I had a black acrylic blank. I used my roughing gouge to turn all the blanks. I wet sanded to 12000mm and polished with Hut plastic polish. I'm call this my Wedding Set. If some need a black and white set for a wedding I'm set. All C & C are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 195
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Beautiful set Dan! Those are really nice!
Sorry you struggled to get there. Maybe your split pieces can be cut back to the tube and a piece of contrasting material can be added on for a segmented blank.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for the wonderful comments. Charlie that's a good idea but it's a bit late as I trashed them. Cody the kit is an ultra cigar chrome with gold accents.

magpens

Really great pens, Dan !! Congratulations !! I think you should keep them and give them to yourselves on your anniversary :):)

The white one .... is it Alumilite ??

My heart aches for you having problems with the black one. I have started reaming out the brass tubes just before pressing in the nib and other hardware pieces. Sometimes I ream out a little too much and I need to epoxy the pieces together. But I don't have any more problems with the beautifully turned and polished blanks cracking when I do the final assembly.
I bought a set of adjustable tube reamers ... takes a bit of time to get the adjustment right, but I think it's worth the extra effort.

BTW, if you don't like the double-twist action transmissions on the cigars (I don't) you can replace them with single-twist action transmissions which you can buy at Exoticblanks. I have found that these replacement transmissions also work on the Atrax BP and on the Triton BP.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Mal for the great comment. I like your idea of keeping the pensThe white is Corian. I've been thinking about a reamer or file set.

magpens

Charlie, I wouldn't use a tapered reamer. The reamers I bought are designed to keep the tube bore cylindrical. They are adjustable over a small range of diameters. You can find them on the KBCtools website:

KBC Tools & Machinery

They are fairly expensive if you buy them individually. I bought a set of 7 for about $60.00. Actually I bought mine at BusyBeeTools in Canada:

Buy Adjustable Blade Reamer Set Of 7pcs at Busy Bee Tools

Harbor Freight probably has them .... or Grizzly.

SteveJ

Nice looking set.

A young girl asked her mom why the bride wore white at the wedding. The mom told her that it was the happiest day of a bride's life.

The girl then asked, "why does the groom wear black?"

Steve

LeeR

Dan,

Nice looking pens. I made a white Corian pen for our nephews wedding. Something pretty classy about all white or all black. Our youngest daughter is getting married in July, so I'm thinking white Corian or alternate ivory for that one.

You said you used roughing gouge entirely. I switch to a round nose scraper on acrylics and Corian. I grind a relief on the top side. Makes it a little less aggressive. You do want to keep it sharp so you get nice thin ribbons of material coming off.

Nothing I brilliantly came up with, it was a suggestion in the Craft Supplies USA catalog. :)

OZturner

Superb Pens, Dan.
Great recovery, Excellent Fit and Finish.
I couldn't help but reflect on just how you have developed and the progress you have made in the last 2 years, it is Breathtaking.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks a lot Lee and Brian for your very nice comment's. Lee I have yet to try my hand at a scraper. I can get a very fine cut with my gouge but I may have to get a scraper just to see how they work. Brain I remember very well the comment's you made on my first few pens you C & C helped me get to the point I'm at now. The only down side of the very nice comment's you make is I keep having to buy new hat's.:biggrin:

Sataro

Great looking pen set! I like the idea of a wedding set.

I purchased a Lymans Chamfer/Reamer for using on the brass tubes. Hand tool from Cabela's for about $12.99. A couple of quick turns & brass tube has a nice chamfer edge. Beginning to use it on all of my pens now.

Top Bottom