Pen Turning Binge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mattgatten

mattgatten

Spent 6 hours in my shop making cigar pens and 1 European style pen.

The picture is horrible because I didn't have my flash heads charged so I used on-camera flash. Ugh.

Anyhow, here the are. :) This is my first time turning cocobolo too. The pen on the left is 'mystery wood' given to me by a friend.

Originally, there were 8 pens but one of the didn't 'make the cut'. I"m downright embarrassed by the 'runt of the litter'. hahaha Wife snagged the one on the left. Is that how it usually works with you guys?

2306324740_c3f9384da8.jpg

Thanks,
Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Varinokid

Those are really nice looking batch. I've got a bulk of cocobolo blanks coming in this week. I look forward to making some really nice pens with the species. Did you put any finish on it? or is it naturally polished? I'm curious as someone mentioned that cocobolo has oils that can cause problems with a finish.

jhs494

Nice work Matt. I like the one on the left best. The mystery wood, it has a unique looking grain pattern. They all have a good looking finish.
Thanks for showing them to us.

mattgatten

Thanks for the kind words guys. Turned a couple more tonight. That's 9 Cigars and a Euro in 4 days. Camera batteries are on the charger. Pictures are coming. :)

I'm gradually getting better with my pens and the finishes. To me, finishing is tougher than turning them. haha

rgordon

Nice look set. I finished a true stone last night, brought it in the house and it never even had a chance to get a photo of. Wife says I don't think the photo will come out right I will just hid it for you.
Last I saw of that Pen. Important notice she puts up with my hobbies Thank goodness.

mattgatten

The binge rages on!

Here are 5 more. There was originally 6 but I gave one to a good friend before I could photograph is. I've claimed the black and white one as my 'keeper'. I think the wife is eyeballing one of the other acrylics.

This was my first time turning a synthetic blank. Fun. They shine up real nice. :)

2320078804_b5c0d5458a.jpg

2319266227_a005bdc447.jpg

Top Bottom