Pen with tube showing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker

Pen_13_1703.jpg

Pen_13c.jpg

I didn't realize this blank was partially clear. You can see the brass tube, however it turned out nice, I thought, with the gold pen parts.

However, that does lead me to ask some questions.

What type of paint do most of you use to paint the tube, or inside of the blank? Will Testers model paint work?
Which is better, paint the tube or the blank or both? I feel that if I paint the tube, I may still be able to see the adhesive. Does the paint effect adhesion at all?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice looking pen!

Folks use a variety of paints, including Testors. I use Kyylon spray paints & shoot about 1-2 seconds of spray into each end of the blank. I also spray the tubes. Whatever paint you use, be sure to let it cure completely - I let the spray paint dry at least 2-3 days, usually more.

Be sure to test the fit before gluing. Sometimes you need to run the drill bit back through the blank to knock down paint build up. I do it by hand when necessary. I use medium CA glue & have no adhesion problems as long as the paint is well cured.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I only back paint the blank using silver spray paint. It works really well and in most cases makes the blank color pop.

mecompco

If you just paint the tube, sometimes the glue will show through. At least paint the blank--I usually do both with spray paint. As advised above, give it plenty of time to dry so you'll get good glue adhesion.

Regards,
Michael

RobS

I also will use epoxy pigment from psi to color my 2 part epoxy. I paint the tube white with testors, then use white tinted epoxy. Sometimes I use green paint, and green epoxy, etc...

Charlie_W

I use spray primers when I can. Also, pop the painted tubes in a toaster oven for about 20 minutes on 200 to help dry and cure the paint.

Nice job on the Lichtenberg burnt cube!

edicehouse

I am too tired to find it, but a few years ago I compared the same blank, just back painted 2 different colors, and that can make a huge difference. A cool blank is an acrylic one from woodcraft called snow. All the venders have it.

Well I have taken that blank and back painted it white or blue, or pink, or purple and get a different outcome, it lightens the color you back paint, but gives different options.

edicehouse

When I first started everything was either white or black, then I started back painting an orange blank orange. I got the idea to take the cut offs and drill them, turn them down and back paint to see how it effects the blank. You can remove the paint after you see how it looks when it dries to try another color.

Pens By Scott

I use Testors mainly, but any acrylic model paint has worked for me in the past. I usually sand the inside of the pen blank, and paint it, instead of the tube... Though recently, i've painted both... just incase i scratched the inside while inserting the tube...

Woodchipper

I'm getting in deeper and deeper! :cool: The more I look at this website, the more I uncover for ideas. My question will address one thing that interests me.
My question here is about painting/back painting. When painting the hole in a blank, how the heck do you spray or brush the paint in that little hole in the blank? :confused: Video or tutorial on this anywhere? Thanks.

BeeAMaker

I'm getting in deeper and deeper! :cool: The more I look at this website, the more I uncover for ideas. My question will address one thing that interests me.
My question here is about painting/back painting. When painting the hole in a blank, how the heck do you spray or brush the paint in that little hole in the blank? :confused: Video or tutorial on this anywhere? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/bnVaA1Ppa14

You could probably just shoot a spray can down the hole too.

Last edited:

RetiredGuy23

Because I paint the tube and the blank and add pigment to my epoxy, I have fount it best to drill the blank oversize. The paint that I use is the Crayola acrylic paint from Office Depot. It comes in a 16 fl oz. size. I thin it down with water and apply it with a Qtip.

GOOD LUCK!

Curly

The easiest way to see what colour looks best to you is to take your blank and polish the end and slice of a 1/16" on the table saw. Use a zero clearance throat plate so it doesn't disappear into the bowels of the saw. Take that slice and put it on any colour you have around. The cap from the spray can, sheets of paper or cardboard, or anything else you spot around you. You can even do it on the paint can lids at the hardware store or paint chip sheets at the paint store. When you find the one you like use it. ;)

Top Bottom