Pen from Steel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jj9ball

jj9ball

Just finished another custom fountain pen. This one weighs in at 149 grams and is made from steel. The pen has a medium Jowo Nib and is filled with a Schmidt k6 screw in converter pump. The threads to body are 12mm single starts and the section to body is 9mm single starts. This was really a fun one except for drilling that 2 3/4" hole in the body :).... took a little longer than with acrylic. I would love to hear any questions or comments.

Attachments

• IMG_3487.jpg
    IMG_3487.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3488.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

That is one beautiful looking pen. Someday I hope I can make something like this.
The only change I would make for myself is I would have a rollerball pen.

That is sweet. Wonderful job you did.

Penultimate

Nicely done. You mentioned the material is steel. Is it stainless? If not, hoe are you protecting it from oxidation? Did you use carbide or high spedd steel tools?

jj9ball

Nicely done. You mentioned the material is steel. Is it stainless? If not, hoe are you protecting it from oxidation? Did you use carbide or high spedd steel tools?

I used carbide tools and uh oh its not stainless. Its actually 12L14 steel. I was thinking of waxing it to help protect it... but I honestly don't know what I'll do to keep rust away. I wish I was smart enough to think some of these things through ahead of time. The funny part is that a 4 foot piece of 303 stainless steel was sitting there next to the lathe "watching" me as I made this pen :)

Top Bottom