The Pen That Shouldnt Be

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timebandit

Timebandit

This pen shouldnt exist. It broke more times than i care to admit.While turning, and while drilling.

It is Spalted Maple Burl and was the most difficult pen to date. It took over 5 hours over multiple days to get this thing turned. It was a gift for a good friend who personally came to my house and hand picked this blank. It was spalted, it was punky, is was rock hard in some places, it was just plain mean to me. Buuuut, i persevered above this measly piece of timber and made it come to life.

Thanks for looking,

Comments Encouraged!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0973.jpg
    DSC_0973.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC_0974.jpg
    DSC_0974.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC_0992.jpg
    DSC_0992.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC_0994.jpg
    DSC_0994.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 579
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

Very nice work! Definitely one to be proud of. Which pen kit is this? Looks like a Baron but with a Jr. Gentleman's nib?

Timebandit

Very nice work! Definitely one to be proud of. Which pen kit is this? Looks like a Baron but with a Jr. Gentleman's nib?

Its the apprentice JR Gent V I. They are the cheap ones that cost about 5 bucks from Smitty and a few other places like CSUSA.

McBryde

Gorgeous Pen! You've got to love cross cut spalted stuff, it just doesn't get much better on a finished pen that that. It can definately be a booger to turn sometimes though.

E

MartinPens

Great looking pen. I just cut some punky spalted maple burl into blanks for turning, but I'm waiting for my cactus juice chamber to get here so I can stabilize the stuff prior to any attempts to turn. I'm impressed that you beat that blank. Next time you come across something like that, let me know and maybe I can stabilize it for you. LOL I'm volunteering myself and I haven't even gotten the system yet. I guess I'm a little excited.

Great looking pen. I love the look of spalted wood.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Timebandit

Thanks Martin
I am envious. I saw Curtis's stabalizing chamber and the cactus juice before he released it ( im about 30 minutes away :)and really want one. Unfortunately this pen wasn't stabalized and i turned long before i found out about the cactus juice. I have several more pieces from this batch but i also have a lot more spalted maple that isn't as bad as these ones, but will still need to be stabalized.

When i was at Curtis's, i took a few spalted red oak with me to show him and he demonstrated the chamber and the juice to me and Lupe (el_d) and was very impressed. In a bout an hour and a half i had 4 rock hard pen blanks ready to be turned. I tried turning one of them before they were stabalized and it exploded, so this i great news for the home stabalizers. You will be very pleased!

Enjoy it!

Great looking pen. I just cut some punky spalted maple burl into blanks for turning, but I'm waiting for my cactus juice chamber to get here so I can stabilize the stuff prior to any attempts to turn. I'm impressed that you beat that blank. Next time you come across something like that, let me know and maybe I can stabilize it for you. LOL I'm volunteering myself and I haven't even gotten the system yet. I guess I'm a little excited.

Great looking pen. I love the look of spalted wood.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

wiset1

Awesome work, it's almost a shame to let it go now that you've shared history with the wood.

el_d

Nice Victory over that blank.

Stick the cutoff from that blank on your skew and place it in the shop for the other punky blanks to see......Intimidation......

Rangertrek

Sometimes you just have to stick with and not let is beat you!
I am working on a Cambridge that is the same way. Now on my 3rd rework of this one. Last one had hair line crack on Ebony after assembly, did not notice until the next day.

shadrach1944

Looks Great Justin! you did a wonderful job with that spalted maple, I know how hard that can be. I've had my share of troubles with an old maple tree felled in 2007 at the lodge and most of the members wanted pens made for keepsakes of the old tree.

Top Bottom