Pen Rack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

Before I begin, allow me to give credit to Mike Vickery(VICK) for the masterful herringbone Morado pen that he made available for me.It sits on top of the 'rack' and rightfully belongs on top of the heap. It's that good and belongs on top. Thank you again Mike.

I'm actually showing off the little maple pen rack that I put together from my leftover maple pen trays that I've been selling to our IAP members. I like the simplicity & functionality that are incorporated in the design. As you will notice it will accomodate the small slimline pens all the way up to the beefier cigars. All these pens were crafted by yours truly with the exception of Mike's Morado. Hope that the rack inspires others to come up with their own designs.
-Peter-
2006682198_rack1.jpg

20066821928_rack2.jpg

20066821959_rack3.jpg

200668211031_rack4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Very nice rack!!!

Now, if I may (hope you won't take offense)... have you considered removing the front leg? (changing the shape to T instead of + ).

I think it will stay as stable and will present the pen much better.

dubdrvrkev

Its a good concept, I agree with Dario about the front leg, however it may "soften" the base some if it were round or elipse with a nice round-over or ogee edge.

angboy

I have to say, that pen that's all by itself in two pictures- it's one funky pen!!! I especially like the black and white parts right near the centerband, and am curious what that looked like before? I assume it's a piece left over from another blank- so what did the original blank look like?

Now, as for the rack... I'm sure that Dario and Billy are better judges than me about it being a nice rack, after all, they are both more experienced (wood turners? babe watchers?) than me, but I do like it. Somehoe it kind of makes intuitive sense to have a pen rack made out of wood, rather than plastic, especially for displaying pens made of wood.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by angboy
<br />
Now, as for the rack... I'm sure that Dario and Billy are better judges than me about it being a nice rack, after all, they are both more experienced (wood turners? babe watchers?)
Angela, nothing seems to get by you. Oh so perceptive and oh so naughty[;)]

Kevin, thanks for the additional design suggestion.
Frank, feel free to borrow at will.
Thanks to all for the nice & witty comments.
-Peter-

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by angboy
<br />I assume it's a piece left over from another blank- so what did the original blank look like?
This is the way the colorply start out looking. I save the small chunks and sometimes manage to get a 'funky' design.
-Peter-
2006691414_P6080005.jpg
<br />
20066914135_P6080006.jpg
<br />

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Dario
<br />have you considered removing the front leg? (changing the shape to T instead of + ).
I think it will stay as stable and will present the pen much better.
Dario/Kevin thanks for your suggestion for improving on the original design. Went back into revision mode and came up with these alternate displays that have the front leg either removed or shortened and yet still maintaining overall stability.
-Peter-
2006611114940_P6110003.jpg
<br />
200661111504_Rev-A.jpg
<br />

Daniel

I have been looking for display ideas for my pen collection. Although the collection is small right now, (only 50 pens or so) I will be needing enough racks or stands to hold over 700 pens when it is done. with my shop nearing completion I hope to kick the collection into a higher gear soon. I have over 100 kits waiting in boxes and more on the way. If you don't mind I will save one of these images as one way to make a stand for them. they are nice looking, made of wood, and I could make them longer or shorter as needed for various pen style collections and I could replace them without bankrupting myself. thanks for the idea.

wood-of-1kind

Janet, thanks for commenting and that you like the new design.

Daniel, I feel good knowing that I may have inspired another fellow IAP member in coming up with their own design. Your shop is coming along nicely. Bet you can't wait until it's all done and your ready to 'turn'.

-Peter-

Rifleman1776

A note of caution. I made myself some pen display stands from aromatic red cedar. Big misteak. [:I] The cedar, I learned, attacks the finish on the pens. Just a couple hours resting on the stand put blemishes on the finish. I'll use something besides for these stands.

wood-of-1kind

Here are a few more ideas for making some more pen racks. These were all made from leftover scraps that were too good to burn. Give them a try, they'll really enhance your work and just take minutes to assemble.
-Peter-
200671914621_rax1.jpg
<br />
200671914740_rax2.jpg
<br />
20067191489_rax3.jpg
<br />
200671914837_rax4.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom