A pen For The Pulpit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

Here is a prototype I made up this week after running the idea past Mike from Mike's penturnings. It's not a pen I would sell to anyone, it needs some refinement, but I wanted to show the idea. It is a PSI Gatsby in 24k Gold. The blank is White Pine with 3-ply Pic Guard in Black/White/Black. Rays are scroll sawn and filled with Ebony. I tried silver, but it didn't show up well against the white. The end bands were left proud of the fittings to represent the starched collars of many clergymen. The finish is thick CA. I think this would make an excellent gift for a clergyman if the blank were Ivory, White or Ivory resin, Pearl, or BOW. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0003 (405x640).jpg
    DSCF0003 (405x640).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCF0004 (640x293).jpg
    DSCF0004 (640x293).jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCF0001 (640x231).jpg
    DSCF0001 (640x231).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kretzky

I like your idea, I'm not sure though that many will get the intention behind leaving the barrel proud of the fittings. Also, may I respectfully suggest a slightly modified shape to the cross, either wider 'arms' or shorter main column. imho it would then look more 'balanced'
Hope my comments aren't seen as negative & are taken in the spirit in which thy're given.

I like the cross, but the proud ends just make it look unfinished. On styles like the slimline, streamline, atlas, you can get away with a flared nib end, and maybe a flared finial end, but even then it needs some contour to make it appear intentional. A straight barrel, proud on the ends, just looks incomplete.

plantman

I like your idea, I'm not sure though that many will get the intention behind leaving the barrel proud of the fittings. Also, may I respectfully suggest a slightly modified shape to the cross, either wider 'arms' or shorter main column. imho it would then look more 'balanced'
Hope my comments aren't seen as negative & are taken in the spirit in which thy're given.

In my mind, if you take someone's comments as a negative, you are thinking with a closed mind, and not beinging open to other people's ideas and views. All C&C is welcome, good or bad, it's the ones that don't comment I worry about. Being brought up in the Catholic Faith, the first thing that tells me someone is a man of the cloth is the white collar sticking up proud. The reason I chose the long main beam for the cross is, historically the crosses had long main beams. First, because they were burried in the ground at some depth in order to remain upright. And second, they were placed in a manner that the feet of the crucifyed were out of the reach of the people watching so they could not take the pressure off the one being punished. The modern balanced cross looks much better hanging on the wall I agree. Jim S

plantman

I like the cross, but the proud ends just make it look unfinished. On styles like the slimline, streamline, atlas, you can get away with a flared nib end, and maybe a flared finial end, but even then it needs some contour to make it appear intentional. A straight barrel, proud on the ends, just looks incomplete.

Look at the photos a little closer. The ends are not square, the black ring is rounded over to meet the fittings in a gentel curve. This isn't my first pen, it's not for sale, and your missing the point of the proud blank all together. Thank you for your concerns and comments, I guess I should have explained the reasons for making this pen the way I did a little better. Jim S

Hubert H

Very nice. I really like it. Next time (I assume there will be a next) I hope you have some B. Olivewood. Again - VERY NICE. HWH

Dan Masshardt

This was a really neat idea and obviously a lot of thought went into it.

I particularly like the cross. Great idea and implementation.

It would make a great gift for your parish priest or a minister in a tradition utilizing vestments.

I am a pastor, but don't wear any clerical clothing, so that aspect wouldn't have much as much significance for me, but its not about me!!

If you ask for comments, you'll get them. Everybody has an opinion - including me - but if you are happy, that's what really matters.

That cross aspect in any pen you make would have much broader appeal to Christians in general.

Last edited:
In my mind, if you take someone's comments as a negative, you are thinking with a closed mind, and not beinging open to other people's ideas and views. All C&C is welcome, good or bad.....

Look at the photos a little closer. The ends are not square, the black ring is rounded over to meet the fittings in a gentel curve. This isn't my first pen, it's not for sale, and your missing the point of the proud blank all together. Thank you for your concerns and comments, I guess I should have explained the reasons for making this pen the way I did a little better. Jim S

These two responses don't match at all. I won't comment on your work again.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here is a prototype I made up this week after running the idea past Mike from Mike's penturnings. It's not a pen I would sell to anyone, it needs some refinement, but I wanted to show the idea. It is a PSI Gatsby in 24k Gold. The blank is White Pine with 3-ply Pic Guard in Black/White/Black. Rays are scroll sawn and filled with Ebony. I tried silver, but it didn't show up well against the white. The end bands were left proud of the fittings to represent the starched collars of many clergymen. The finish is thick CA. I think this would make an excellent gift for a clergyman if the blank were Ivory, White or Ivory resin, Pearl, or BOW. Jim S
Purple would also work for a lot of clergy as would Green....

plantman

In my mind, if you take someone's comments as a negative, you are thinking with a closed mind, and not beinging open to other people's ideas and views. All C&C is welcome, good or bad.....

These two responses don't match at all. I won't comment on your work again.

Maybe you should read the first line again, I think you missed the point there also. The two responce are for two different people and should not match each other. I value your comments and am deeply greatful that you took the time to make them. Keep an open mind. Peace!! Jim S

Last edited:

JustmeinMS

You stole my idea! Just kidding. But, I have been working on a cross pen for the last two days. It will be finished tomorrow if I get time to go to the shop. Maybe I will post it anyway. Nothing wrong with being the second one to make one. :biggrin:

plantman

I'm sure that I am not the first one to make a cross, maybe the first using Pic-Guard?? Laserlines.com has several realy nice kits that include a BOW cross, a double cross, and a Knights of the Templar cross. I am always eager to see new ideas from members posted here. Show your pen when it's finished. Jim S

Top Bottom