Pen & Pen boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmac

I have been working on these for a very good friend of mine. His father passed away in November. As his Father was an Army veteran he was given a gun salute. My friend asked if I could make him and his brother a pen out of the spent cartridges. This is what I came up with. His Father was a life long Texan so I wanted to use a native Texas wood, mesquite.

200712205516_Pen%20Boxes.jpg

200712205740_Pen%20Box1.jpg

200712205758_Pen%20Box2.jpg

I had their Fathers name and his birth and death dates laser engraved in the pen and in the top of the box I inlayed a Texas concho.

Bobby
Louisiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Great work. I had forgotten about the rounds from my fathers 21 gun salute at his funeral, guess that I could make pens out of them for his grandsons, as I am an only child. I hope you dont mind my using your great idea?

Mike

OKLAHOMAN

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Bobby,

Excellent work and a beautiful sentiment. Obviously you created a family heirloom!
Agree on both, the family must be very gratified with your though process in the making of this fine remembrance.

Kemosabe62

Wonderful work. If I may ask, how was the building of the pen box done? I sometimes will want to build a box similar to that of yours, of the same woods that my pens are made of. I see a glue line on the inside of the box, but can't imagine the reason for it, as I don't see the same line on the outside of the box. Also you've hidden the hinge plates (for lack of the correct word), again, how'd you do this.

bmac

Thanks for the comments fellows, they are appreciated.

Anthony, the pen boxes presented the greatest challenge. While they came out OK, they had to be modified at the last minute. I started out trying to make it using the small barrel hinges and forty-fiving the edge. But I never could get the lid to open properly. I had never made a box using those type of hinges and I wasn't 100% sure how much 45 I needed. Anyway, I ended up cutting out the 45 and glueing in a filler as I did not want to waste the work I had already done. I tried to match the grain as best as I could. Also you are correct about hiding the hinges. I recessed the plate of the hinge enough that I could glue a thin piece of mesquite over it, again trying to match the grain as close as possible, and sand it smooth.

Bobby
Louisiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom