Pen number 6, spalted oak cigar-commissioned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Here is my latest pen, which I turned for a friend. It was a trade for some work he did for me. He is the one I got the wood from to begin with and started me selling here. It is my first time turning anything that I had to fill with CA. It was not really cracked, but was really open at places. I like the wood. I'll do a special in a month or two with it, but it won't be available until then. I really like this one. I messed up the finish though. It is really "dry" looking over most of it. The TSW and BLO helped though.

Sorry about the photo quality.
Rob

20051121202724_DSCN1817.jpg

20051121202736_DSCN1819-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

Great looking pen! Can I be first on the list for this wood when you do have it available? I'll be ordering other blanks to go with it... [:D]

Thanks!
Draken

mick

Real beauty Rob...now you know why I like your spalted oak so much .....I think thats the first wood Connie bought from you and I've loved every pen I've turned from it!

BigRob777

Thanks guys,
It was hard giving that pen up. I am still looking for my "use pen". I have been using my first, a comfort grip with curly maple. I am buying some long tubes, so that I can make the pen a little longer, to fit into my paws.

I wrote this response several hours ago, but must have forgotten to submit it. Dario, I haven't forgotten about our conversation. I am saving up to get a box full.

Mike,
I'll e-mail you about caligraphy pen blanks.

Billy,
This wood was actually a reject from your pile. It didn't have any black line in it. Now that I see it and know a little more about wood, I am glad I kept the box full of rejects. If they don't sell, I'll use them. I just love that contrast. God is an amazing artist.

Draken,
It will be a while. I have a bunch of Christmas trays to build.

All,
Sorry that I don't have enough time to answer all of you. Most of you are my friends and please don't feel left out. If you all will remind me the next time you purchase pen blanks from me, I'll toss in one of these.

Thanks for your kind words,
Rob

BigRob777

Alan,
Actually, the wood was pretty hard and was a good weight. I was surprised. I have a lot of it that has been drying for almost a year. I hope to get to it next month.
Rob

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Beautiful work, Rob. Awesome wood, and very nice results with the pen. Keep up the good work.

BTW, Re God being an incredible artist, He also has a sense of humor. Have you seen a picture of Old Griz? [:D][}:)][:D]

Dario

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Re God being an incredible artist, He also has a sense of humor. Have you seen a picture of Old Griz? [:D][}:)][:D]

You are bad William!!! ROFLMAO

My turn to clean my monitor. [:D]

BigRob777

OUCH! You must not have seen my picture[xx(]

Dario,
You are pretty popular today, especially in the walnut burl post.[:D]
I'm glad to see that. From what I hear, you deserve it.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom