Pen Number 2 - El Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

My second pen, and day two of pen turning. It's an El Grande RB in Chrome and a deep blue acrylic blank. I had a couple of stutter steps today, I started turning the blank before I inserted the tubes, for example... just too driven to get the thing on the lathe, I guess.

Anyway it seems to have come out okay. I need to work on figuring how much to leave above the bushing when I am done with the skew chisel. I am over-estimating the amount of material that I take off by sanding so I end up sanding A LOT.

Your C&C are not only welcome but desired, or my goal of being among the best pen turners in SoCal will be slow going :biggrin:.

Also... I need a lightbox and to dig my actual camera out for better pics.

Eric

Attachments

• ElGrande960.jpg
    ElGrande960.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 173
  • ElGrande1960.jpg
    ElGrande1960.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

With acrylic you should be right on final dimensions from turning, and not use sanding to get there. Forget the bushings for size, if you don't have some calipers to measure the mating parts, you will have a hard time getting competitive in SoCal.

That being said, you are off to a great start! Good looking pen. Keep pushing to improve. All you need to know is right on this site. Welcome to IAP!

plantman

Eric; I am with Harry 100%!! Forget the bushings to determen size and get a digital readout calipers that measures both MM and inches. Harbor Freight has a metal Pittsburg on sale for $9.95. Use the 25% off coupon to lower the price even more. Always measure your fittings, they may not always be the same. Nice looking pen, and welcome to the family. Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice Pen!

Harry and Jim nailed it! CALIPERS... Bushings are a "guide."

I wish some of my first attempts looked as good!

Keep at it, you are well along the way!

Sandsini

So you guys are recommending turning between centers instead of using the mandrel and bushings? I'm have calipers but not digital... I will pick one up soon.

Gracias!

robutacion

My second pen, and day two of pen turning. It's an El Grande RB in Chrome and a deep blue acrylic blank. I had a couple of stutter steps today, I started turning the blank before I inserted the tubes, for example... just too driven to get the thing on the lathe, I guess.

Anyway it seems to have come out okay. I need to work on figuring how much to leave above the bushing when I am done with the skew chisel. I am over-estimating the amount of material that I take off by sanding so I end up sanding A LOT.

Your C&C are not only welcome but desired, or my goal of being among the best pen turners in SoCal will be slow going :biggrin:.

Also... I need a lightbox and to dig my actual camera out for better pics.

Eric

G'day Eric,

Considering the turning experience you've got, you are doing extremely well...!

One simple way to resolve forgetting the sequence steps/procedures when making a pen is to write a "step list" in a language you can understand and put it near the lathe or the bench working are, after a while, the list is not necessary and you will be OK...!

As for the barrel(s) thickness before sanding, in this case using acrylic, you don't really have to use CA to finish it so, slightly above the bushings (if correct and the tool finish is good/smooth) are the size you need to get.

If turning wood for example and you are finishing with a deep/thick CA finish, I normally use the tool right to the bushing size and then hand sand and that is normally the thickness the CA will take.

While this CA thickness (2 x thin + 6 x medium) is about paper thickness, you may have to experiment with a scrap piece of wood and after sanding it smooth, measure it with a digital calipers and take note of that measurement, proceed with the CA finishing method you are using (number of layers), sand it down as if you were doing the real thing and measure again, the difference between the 2 measurements is your CA finish thickness so, if doing wood, and after tooling it to the bushings size, you sanding down thickness, should match your CA finish thickness...!

The number of layers and the viscosity of the CA used, determine that finished CA thickness and while there is no such thing as the correct numbers of CA layers, you need to experiment with the CA and reach the finish you are happy with, only then you should work out what that thickness is and apply that to the various materials you may be working with.

Your barrels look straight/flat with the kit components however, this pen has the barrels diameter a little over and round the edges slightly, is a small improvement but still right, as per the average perception to what that fit should be.

Another thing that can spoil your barrels fitting (out of round) can be the result of stop cutting your barrel material too early and then try to reach the final dimensions with sanding. It there is a lot to sand, the chances are that the blanks goes from round to out of round so, getting the material diameter as close as possible and smooth with the cutting tool, is a more effective way to endup with a perfectly round barrel(s)...!

Best of luck...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

plano_harry

Eric, most of us started with bushings and a mandrel. The point is bushings are not a perfect diameter match to your hardware, so they should not be your final reference, just a guide to help you get in the ballpark quickly without worrying about going too far. Set your caliper to the actual diameter of the nib (for example) and turn the nib end down until the caliper will barely fit over the nib end of the blank. Then you know you have it perfect. Repeat with the other hardware components. Many of us use multiple calipers for convenience -- I will set one for the nib and another to match the centerband. I have even seen slight variations in size between different platings, so measure the actual components you plan to use.

Digital readout is VERY convenient for lots of uses, but as you can see above, I don't dial in a number for this use, I set the caliper to the part and lock it. I don't care about the number on the readout.

Turning between centers is considered more accurate for roundness, but it has nothing to do with getting the correct diameter. That comes from measuring. I generally use TBC bushings when turning between centers, but still measure my fit.

Hope that helps.

Sandsini

After living with this pen for a couple of days I have to say I am very disappointed in this kit. The cap, when posted, just pushes on, it doesn't screw on securely, so as soon as you try to write with it, the cap starts to rattle about. That, with the plastic fittings, leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think I would buy this kit again.

Top Bottom