Pen No. 2 Candy Cane Polycrilic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crokett

crokett

A Christmas gift for my wife. I wanted a lady- like shape so kept things rounded, etc. Sanded to 400, then 3 coats CA, then micromesh to 3200 then plastic polish.

This poly was a mess to turn. I kept getting long strings that wound around the mandrel and fouled the tool.

I also need to make an actual display stand.

100_0470.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Personally, I'm not keen on tjhe shape, but if it works for you, good job.

BTW....
Long thin strings is what you're after in turning acrylics. It means your tools are sharp and you're presenting the tool to the material at the correct angle. You should therefore welcome the opportunity to clean your tools when this happens. :wink:

plantman

:knife::knife: Very nice pen !! When you get long strings of poly, that means that your tool is sharp and your method is correct. Get yourself a brush to clear the strings away so you don't have to stop the lathe or use your hands. Jim S

Last edited:

SteveG

Each pen turner has the privilege of making whatever shape or style they like, and it sounds like you are happy with what you produced. So, good job. Is there a reason why you used CA on this material? You should have been able to polish it up without CA. Just curious.

Haynie

those ribbons sure get every where don't they. It is a good sign though. CA is pointless. get some novas or, in my case, 3m rubbing compound to go with the MM.

beck3906

My acrylic finishing technique is to use wet/dry sandpaper wet. I may start with 220, thenm 320, 400 and maybe 600. Then I transfer to the buffing wheels and work from there. Generally don't need more than that

Bgibson

Great pen... Diggin the shape it is very feminine.

The ribbons are a pain but easily brushed aside with a brush or your finger. I generally finish my acrylic with MM and a rubbing compound.

nightowl

Yes. Ribbons are good. You don't want the alternative. I usually sand to 320 grit then use EEE polish and then Beal buff. Never tried CA on the acrylic. Nice looking pen. You did a good job.

Top Bottom